Cody
Cody, Senior Systems Administrator
Experience:  Systems Administrator
58973002

Outlook wont receive email. I get an error message and this

Outlook wont receive email. I get an error message and this code:0x800040005, How can I fix this?

I'm sorry about the issue. What email do you use, such as Hotmail, Yahoo, Gmail, AOL, etc.?

Do you have windows xp, vista, or 7, or 8, 10?
Can we do a remote support session, so I can troubleshoot the issue directly on your computer together with you?
Please reply at the box below. Thank you,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you can remote access me. Outlook.

Thank you. Please accept the remote support offer, then please click on the website below in order to connect with me remotely:

http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=137ea741-6338-48cf-823f-155a42c5f7ce
, then allow the Elsinore.ScreenConnect program to download/run/open when prompted at the bottom.
Note: If it does not connect within 5 minutes, then please reply at the box below and let me know. Thank you,

Sending email. Thanks,

I'm sorry. I'm not sure about this issue, so let me open the issue to other experts. Thank you,

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help and resolve the problem you have posted.

let me know when we can get this fixed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It looks like Viet fixed the issued. Is that correct?

Viet has opted out and opened this question for other experts i saw that you still need help that is why i have responded to this question.

if the issue is fixed i will opt out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not totally sure because I had to go to work. So it will be tonight before I can check for sure. He said he had not seen that error code before. I guess I will be back in touch tonight although I would be happy if you could take a look before you all sign off
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I appear to be receiving email now but thousands and thousands of my emails have disappeared. I need them for my work. Can someone ask Viet where I can find them? Or how to get them?

We can look to see if your emails are located somewhere else. Are you free to do a remote session?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am at work now. If you can remote in without my being there, that would be fine with me. Last night I saw him archive a lot of items on the comcast page, not my outlook page. He put them in a file on the left called Archive. Maybe that is where they are and I just don't know how to access them from outlook. When I left this morning my email was receiving. I did not get the error code 0x80004005 that started all this so that was an improvement. But not being able to find my old emails was distressing. Thanks to you and your team.

I'll need you to connect me, let me know when you're home to work on this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, but I won't be home until 10:00 pm...long day at work and a meeting after. What should I do?

just message me on here

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I will do that.

ok yw

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Cody. This all began when I had not received any emails in outlook since Sunday. I got and error code message that said 0x80004005. I could not figure it out so I turned to you guys for help. Viet was my technician. He worked on it. I told him that I had to save all of my emails because I work from home. I know at one point he archived them on the email page in infinity. I don't know why. But anyway, this morning I had received emails but ALL OF MY SENT emails since 2003 are gone. There is not a single sent email. A lot of my inbox emails are missing as well although I cannot tell how many. I am very upset and don't know what on earth to do now!!! Can you help?

Can you login through the web on infinity and see the emails?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Inbox. I need to check about sent. Shall I do it now or wait.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry Cody. I forgot to hit send! Viet and I were up all night last night and I had a 7:30 am meeting so I am running on fumes. I apologize.

yes check on it

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It looks like some of them are there from Nov 2015 back...I can't tell how far back yet because it is slow. There is nothing from 2016 on infinity email that I can see.

In outlook can you go to File --> account settings --> change --> does it say its setup for imap or pop3 ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Imap
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know last night when Viet had remote control I saw POP3 or something like that but now it says IMAP/SMPT

can we connect real quick for remote session or we can do it tomorrow if its too late

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let's do it tonight if you can. I won't be at my computer tomorrow during the day. Would that be ok?

Please download and run this file and provide me the ID/Password:
https://connect.teamviewer.com/v10/index.aspx

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where do I find the ID/Password?

when you download and run team viewer it will be on the team viewer window

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Id 930 247 111. Password *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I sent this from my iPhone
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just FYI: On the bottom left: "Filter Applied" is also new since last night. Wasn't there before

I hope you're satisfied with the help I provided.
If you need anything else, you can submit a new question at the below link.
http://tinyurl.com/codyexpert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
absolutely.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cody, I have to leave for a meeting now, but most of my sent items are not there. There is one from 2011 and the rest are from 2008. Would it be possible for you to look at this again tonight when I get home? On the positive side, I am getting emails this morning and my inbox looks to be current! I am also now worried about the cost of this...are we still on my originally authorized $53 or do you know?
Thank you for everything you have already done.
Debby

yes we can look again

I'm not sure on what the cost is, customer service would be able to answer that for you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, it will be later tonight again.

ok

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HI Cody. I got home early tonight.
I did get incoming email. However, there is only one item in my sent folder. There should be many thousands. Can you work on this? I just cannot imagine what happened.Debby
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
3320 is the passwoed
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you connected now?

yes

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I gather you disconnected. I must have been looking at something else. I'm going to come back at 7 am and we will see where we are with both received and sent. Correct? Sorry this is taking so long but at least the nights are getting shorter and we are getting more sleep. Thank you Cody for all of your help.
Debby

I disconnected, I left a message but you must not have seen it.

Update me in the morning on how it goes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I must have just missed it. OK. Will do. Hopefully you willl be able to let me go for good in the morning! I am very, very grateful for your help though!
Thanks,
Debby

no problem, yw

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good morning. When I checked this morning my computer had turned itself off last night. It had not finished loading inbox items. And no sent items. I restarted and it is loading inbox now. I will check again in aboutan hour and let you know. Thanks Cody.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm back home at my computer. It is still downloading the in box.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cody, have you referred me to someone else? I have a green bar showing that says that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Cody. Computer is still downloading my emails. I have to leave again. Hopefully all will be well when I get home tonight and I can contact you and let you know that. I am still worried about the sent emails not being there just like yesterday. And I have another question for you to consider. Once these emails are loading today, will they stay there and not have to reload everytime my computer shuts down?
Thank you so much. Catch you later.
Debby

Once all the emails are downloaded, they will stay there. They won't need to reload everytime.

Only new emails will download.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I will be back home for good tonight around 8:30. If I can get back before the I will give you a status update on the sent emails. Inbox seems to be loading properly for now.

ok

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Cody,
I am home for 30 mins and will be back for good around 8:30. I have my inbox emails from April 2014 through this morning but not a single one of them from 2003 til 2014. There were all there when Viet started working the error code problem earlier this week. I don't know if he archived them on infinity or not. I have only one sent email, one that I sent this morning to your company before I left for work. All of my sent items were in the box earlier this week also. I simply don't know what on earth to do.

hmm very weird that its not downloading anything more

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can we set a time?
Do you think you can fix this. It seems so messed up now...beyond anything that I could have imagined. I need my emails. If I need start deleting them I will. But I need to get them back to do that. I was a consultant from 2003 to 2007 and all those appear on the surface to be gone. I don't mean to complain. I think haven't recovered from the night of no sleep when this all started on the 18th.
Let me know what to do now.
thank you,
Debby
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you tied up on another project?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning Cody,
I just wanted to ask if you have given up or sent me to someone else?
Thanks
Debby

Can we try to setup email with Thunderbird?

Then we can see if its an Outlook issue, its seems in the process of downloading 30,000 emails it gets hung or times out and quits downloading.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
whatever you say. I can do it now if you will tell me how.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But I don't know what that means...Thunderbird. And my i pad and i phone are in outlook. And it was all working til that error code earlier this week.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, but is this just to try to get my outlook working again? Or a new program that would be to try to get outlook working again?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, i downloaded it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im not sure what to do now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I click set as default?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think it is finished?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is downloading inbox emails now

ok, let it go and see what happens if it downloads sent or gets stuck like outlook

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, it is downloading now. It is a differnt configuration than outlook. Do you need to remote in or are you already able to see what is going on?

I'm not on

Let's wait to see if it downloads everything

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is still downloading inbox...in 2015 now. Has some things I thought I erased long ago.
So while we are waiting. I have this question regardless of which program. Shoudl I be going to comcast/inifnity and deleting things there? I know I need to go back into outlook and delete things I don't need becuase there is a lot in those 60,000 that I will never need again. When you get this problem fixed I will do that. But where do i start? Infinity/comcast or outlook?

I would start by deleting unwanted emails on Comcast web interface

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry to be dense Cody. Is that from Outlook on my computer or do I go to the infinity site?

infinity site

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
still downloading...all the way back to 2003

ok

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
still downloading inbox

k

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I clicked on Send it say Thunderbird failed to conncect with [email protected] server I think it said server but then it started downloading inbox
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
looks like it started loading sent after all so well see

thats a good sign

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I think sent and inbox are there. Why don't I spend some time the rest of tonight deleting from the infinity account. Would everything I delete from there delete from outlook and thunderbird too?

it wont delete from Outlook as its setup with pop3

If Thunderbird is setup with imap, then it will delete from Thunderbird as well.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Ok, what should I do? Since Thunderbird loaded inbox and sent can you fix comcast now?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I mean can you fix outlook now

I don't think we can get Outlook to download that many emails, how many emails are not needed that you can delete?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Where do I delete them from. There are no sent in outlook. But they were all there when we started this. I can start deleting from the outlook inbox if that will get the sent items back. What do you want me to do?

If you want to use Outlook, you'll need to delete emails on Xfiniity website

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Ok. I'll spend the rest of tonight working on that.

alright

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I have not had time today to delete emails from infinity. It takes forever. I still dont have sent items or my folders in outlook. Can you stick with me until i can get more infinity emails deleted???? It will be ma few more days. I am never home until late. I know you need to get paid and i will do watever i need to do but i am frantic about now hbing evything in such bad shape.

that's fine

anything more needed? please rate using stars at the top

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Cody,
I have spent hours deleting thousands of emails from both my Infinity and Outlook accounts. My Outlook is now a huge mess. You know that all of my sent emails are gone. Now my address book is gone and my folders are gone. I am so upset with all of this. I don't know what to do. Can you fix this?Thank you,
Debby

Are sent emails still on Xfinity or Thunderbird?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Almost all of them are on Thunderbird
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
In fact, just about everything is on Thunderbird. I didn't delete anything from there.

The problem is I don't see it working in Outlook unless there is a significant amount of emails deleted.

You're better off using Thunderbird if you want access to everything, or you could use Thunderbird as an archive for older emails and use Outlook for anything new that comes in.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok. Can you just tell me something about thunderbird. Is it just like outlook?

It has similar features, it just looks different.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok. Thank you. Just one more question, will i have to delete emails from thunderbird like i have from outlook to keep it fro crashing or can it just sit out there and i only go there whe i need to look at sent emails?
And, is there anyway to get my contacts back in outlook?

You don't have to delete any emails from Thunderbird, it can stay how it is now.
If you have contacts in Thunderbird you can export as a csv file and then import them into Outlook.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I do have contacts in thunderbird and infinity. Can you do that for me or just gine me instruction?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok, that would be great. And then i will leave you alone for good!
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I tried but got lost in the directions and wasn't successful. I have to leave for a few hours. I will write back tonight to see if you have time to help me. Thank you Cody.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am here. the password *****: 8526
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Id is:930 247 111

see if Xfiniy has contacts

Cody, Senior Systems Administrator
Experience: Systems Administrator