bbao
bbao, IT Consultant
Experience:  CISM / CISSP / MCSD - Azure Solutions Architect / MCSE - Cloud Platform and Infrastructure / MS MVP
96068672

It's a hotmail question, just this afternoon, web browser,

Customer Question

It's a hotmail question
JA: How long have you had this issue with your Hotmail account?
Customer: just this afternoon
JA: How do you access your email most often? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?
Customer: web browser
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: nothing
JA: Anything else you want the email expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: the problem?
Category: Email
Expert:  sudipto_dutta replied 12 months ago.

Hi, I'm Sudipto. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP

Can you explain, what problem you are facing with your Hotmail account ?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
At the bottom of the page when I open hotmail up to my inbox, it tells me how manmy pages of emails I have. Then you can choose which page for ex: 4 of 6 but now after the number of pages it says Go To and if you click on this it takes you to a calendar for choice of days. This is something I've not encountered before and can find no way to access any page of emails but the 1st page of emails.

Did you try to logout and login to your Hotmail account ?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
several times and it made no difference.

OK. at the top of the time of the mail, you will see a filter settings, it is set to "ALL" ?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Even if I change the options, it remains the same. Go To and then a calendar pops up for you to go to a day. I would prefer to go to the next page, not the next day or whatever.

OK, doi you mean when you select a day, you can see the messages of that day ?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
but I want to see them by page, not by date.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
did you fall asleep?
Expert:  bbao replied 12 months ago.

Just checked my Hotmail box, all pages are sorted by Pages by default, as what you expect. It seems to be a setting making the change at your side. Let me check it.

Expert:  bbao replied 12 months ago.

> it says Go To and if you click on this it takes you to a calendar for choice of days.

Yes, that's the new design of web UI aiming to help users find their emails quickly as day is an absolute reference for given emails while page is a relative reference which can be varied due to email counts.

> I want to see them by page, not by date.

Try changing the order by choosing from different options at "Arranged By", as shown in the attached screenshot. By Date is the default option, actually since the beginning of Hotmail. FYI, Arranging By Conversation is a good practice to manage emails especially for long email discussions.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I don't care about long email conversations. I want to see it by page. Is there no way to change it back to this?
Expert:  bbao replied 12 months ago.

> I want to see it by page.

"By page" is an ambiguous description. By default, it is sorted by date/time in pages, it can be also sorted by subject, sender and size in pages.

FYI - Page itself is not an attribute of email, so it doesn't make sense to say sort by page. Instead, e.g. Sender is an attribute of email, so sorting by sender makes sense and it will sort all your emails by the sender's names. When the results are many and can't be shown in a single page, the results will be shown in pages, then you can browse results by selecting a specific page.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I want to see it by date (most recent) to oldest, and to be able to click on the next page; not by a date. Like I see page 1 with October 17 through October 16 on page 1, and then be able to click on page 2 to see October 16 - 15 on the next page; or whatever emails are on the previous dates.
Expert:  bbao replied 12 months ago.

I believe Hotmail just does what you expect by default! :-)

If your side doesn't show pages that way, then you got something wrong at the "arranged by" drop-down list.

Please refer the attached screenshot of "arranged by" options, make sure "date" is selected and a down arrow at left! Please see attached the screenshot highlighting the arrow. The down arrow means to sort emails in reverse order (most recent items at first, most old one at the end of the last page).

If it is a up arrow showing there, simply click the "date" option again to change the order to "down". :)

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I opened that area and clicked on "date", but to no avail. We had already performed this earlier and neither time resulted in eliminating the "go to" at the bottom right of the page. No change, no dice! We have not seen this "go to" on the bottom right before, ever, in the 15 or so years we've had Hotmail. We are open to any solution you may be able to provide us with. We have had great results with Hotmail and have a significant number of our contacts using this address to stay in contact with us.
Expert:  bbao replied 12 months ago.

> We have not seen this "go to" on the bottom right before, ever, in the 15 or so years we've had Hotmail

Recently Outlook.com (Hotmail.com) is upgrading its web UI globally, that's why you see something new and something gone.

> We are open to any solution you may be able to provide us with.

Our Hotmail.com interfaces should be same. As the upgrade is ongoing, probably some differences may appear. Can you try log on at https://www.outlook.com with your Hotmail account? Any difference?

If you are still not able to see the options in my screenshot, I may offer you a remote assistance session so I can see your screen and identify what's going on there. There is an additional fee $39 for the remote session, but if I can't fix the issue during the remote session, you may feel free to ask for a full refund of $39 at JustAnswer customer services.

Expert:  bbao replied 12 months ago.

Any update please?

FYI - Please see attached the screenshot showing all Hotmail emails sorted in the way you expect, in my understanding. Is it correct?

Please kindly accept my answer if I have demonstrated the right way to sort your emails in Hotmail. Thanks.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
That is how I want it. When I hover over the date, there is not an up or down arrow that appears.
It just says page 1 and then "go to".
It bothers my husband more than me. It might be a thing he will have to get used to.
Expert:  bbao replied 12 months ago.

FYI - The Down or Up arrow as well as the options list of Date, From, Subject, Size and Conversation is not always shown there. It only appears with you click the "Arrange By" button on the upper-right corner, when you want to change the sort order.

For the remaining part of web interface (new look), yes, you have to get used to it because that's something Microsoft change for all web users globally. We as users can't change it and have to accept it.

Generally the new look should be better and easier than the old one as Microsoft spends significant effort on user experience, their research and development should benefit most users soon or later.