Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Support Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

A so-called computer guru in setting up my email account

Customer Question

A so-called computer guru in setting up my email account misspelled one word in address; now, we cannot access our account by its old phrasing. PLEASE PLEASE HELP
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your computer? And what version of Word are you using?
Customer: Acer Aspire ES 15; Microsoft 10
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: Not to my knowledge; computer is brand new within the last 2 weeks
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just really want to return to my old email address; have already lost all my contacts and much of my information - so please help me save what I have
Category: Email
Expert:  Wes replied 11 months ago.

Hi there, my name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you. What e-mail program, app, or software are you using?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
G-mail
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Do not want to switch to secure remote assistance. I am on a very tight budget.
Expert:  Wes replied 11 months ago.

okay, but are you accessing your e-mail through a web browser or a stand-alone program like outlook, mail, eudora, etc...

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Gmail through google chrome
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
gmail through google chrome
Expert:  Wes replied 11 months ago.

can you tell me more about what was misspelled and when this occurred? You said a word in the address... were you setting up a *new* email account on Gmail? Or trying to access an existing one?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
our original email address was***@******.***. Techie spelled pardovan as PARRDOVAN(small letters); trying to access existing one.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
This was done on Tuesday night of this week and he tried to correct it on Wednesday night of this week. His first night here was possibly Monday night of this week.
Expert:  Wes replied 11 months ago.

okay, if you go to gmail.com in a different browser window, does it go straight into the incorrectly spelled e-mail account, or does it ask you for a login and password?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Stupid question - what is a different browser window?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
go to Outlook?
Expert:  Wes replied 11 months ago.

You can have more than one web browser window open at a time if you like. A web browser is what you use to look at web pages... not the same as outlook

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
tell me how I do this, please?
Expert:  Wes replied 11 months ago.

Internet explorer/Chrome/Firefox/Safari are all web browsers. On the bottom of the screen you'll see the icon for google chrome... if you right click on that and click on the "Google Chrome" at the bottom of the list that comes up another window will open. Click and hold at the top of that window and drag it all the way to the side of the screen and it will fill the left hand side of your screen. On the other side a bunch of small windows will appear... pick the one that has our conversation here. Once that's done you'll have two windows open side-by-side. That will let you talk to me in one, and go to gmail in the other.