Email

Need Help With Email? Ask Your Email Questions Online

Email

I have Outlook 2007 on my laptop and a Windows phone. Until

Customer Question
about a month ago, I...
I have Outlook 2007 on my laptop and a Windows phone. Until about a month ago, I was able to keep the calendars on the two sychronized going through a Microsoft account at Outlook.com. Now, although the calendars on the phone and Outlook.com stay synchronized, I can't connect between my laptop and Outlook.com. I understand there was some kind of change recently to Outlook.com. What do I need to do to restore functionality of my laptop-to-Outlook.com? The account on my laptop is MAPI, created using "Outlook Connector", as per Microsoft KB2459660.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Email
8/19/2016
Email technician: Jess M., Computer Support Specialist replied 1 year ago
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist

Hi Dick, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

I am very sorry about your issues. What exactly is the error message that you are getting when connection fails?

Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There are no error messages involved. Simply: none of the changes made to the calendar at outlook.live.com show up on the calendar for the MAPI account on my laptop, nor changes made on my laptop on the calendar at outlook.live.com, after doing a Send/Receive. The Send/Receive detail box shows Send/Receive for the new account as "Completed." Changes made to the calendar at outlook.live.com show up on the phone, and changes made on the phone show up on the calendar at outlook.live.com.

Thank you for writing back with that information. Is the problem with the calendar sync only? Are you still able to send and receive emails normally?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I do not use Outlook.com for email -- only the calendar. The whole reason I chose a Windows phone was the assurance I would be able to sync my Outlook calendar with the phone, and this worked fine until about a month ago. As I said, it's my understanding there was some kind of change made to Outlook.com which may be what's made the difference.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no to the remote access offer -- I want to be able to fix this myself.

Thank you for that clarification. Yes, there is a major change in the Outlook.com email infrastructure that caused the sync problems. Outlook.com accounts are migrated to Office 365. When you see Outlook Mail in the webmail, it means your account has been migrated already and the Outlook Connector will NO LONGER work.

Please remove the account, and then add it as an Exchange account. Then test if the sync works this time.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just to be very clear, I go to Tools/Account Settings and select New. In the dialog box which comes up, I choose "Microsoft Exchange, POP3, IMAP, or HTTP" Right so far? BTW, I plan to continue going one step at a time to be absolutely sure I get it right -- hope that's OK.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That brings up a "Add New E-mail Account" dialog box, subtitled "Auto Account Setup", with boxes for name, e-mail address and password, with verification. Also an empty check-box for manual creation.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If I do check the box, I'm taken to a screen where I can specifically choose Microsoft Exchange and the E-mail Service
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
But if I do select that, and "Next," I'm told I have to exit Outlook and use the Mail icon in the Control Panel.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'll shut up now!

That will not work. You can only setup an Exchange account if you open Outlook for the first time. I will send you the steps

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Eagerly waiting!

The goal is to delete the account first and then add it back, this time as an Exchange account. Since you are using Outlook.com email which has been migrated to Exchange already, the auto-discovery will setup the account for you correctly.

1. Close Outlook if it is open
  2. Open Control Panel
  3. Locate and open the MAIL applet
  4. Click on Email Accounts... button
  5. Remove the email account listed there
  6. Then click on the NEW button and then ADD the account again
  7. DO NOT check the option to manually configure the account.
  8. Allow the wizard to complete the setup process and then test if the account works this time

I hope that helped.

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated!

If you need further assistance, please do not rate me negatively with 1 or 2 faces. Instead, please reply to me so that I can help you further.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK -- give me a couple minutes!

Please take your time

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK -- I'm in the Mail applet. You say to remove the email account there. Actually, there are three, two of which are aliases which roll over into the primary one (*****@******.*** is one of the aliases --***@******.*** is my primary email). So if I delete the***@******.***, and then add it again, what will happen to my POP/SMTP connection to AT&T?

Are you getting "Outlook Mail" or Outlook.com when you access your ATT account? I was expecting you are using Outlook account

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
To the best of my understanding of things, no. I can read my mail at att.net, and then Outlook on my computer downloads from there -- Incoming Mail Server: inbound.att.net, Outgoing Mail Server: outbound.att.net
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Until I got the Windows phone, I had no Microsoft account or Outlook.com calendar, etc.

Is your primary att account showing as a MAPI account there in Outlook 2007? You mentioned:

"The account on my laptop is MAPI, created using "Outlook Connector", as per Microsoft KB2459660."

Outlook Connector is only used for Microsoft/Outlook/Live/Hotmail accounts.

Are you saying that you are not using these ATT accounts for emails? Only for calendar?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My lack of ability to say things accurately may be causing a problem. Let me sort of start over. After getting the phone, and reading the Microsoft KB article, it said to download and install Outlook Connector, then open it and use its Create New Account process. So I did, using the new Microsoft account/Outlook.com user ID (I had chosen to use, as supposedly OK,***@******.***) and password. Prior to that, my email accounts box only showed the three AT&T POP3/SMTP accounts. Now there was a new one, MAPI. That created a second calendar on my laptop, into which I copied the contents of the original. Then, until a month ago, on Send/Receive, that new calendar would reflect changes made on the phone, also visible at outlook.live.com. Now no more. So, I think to answer your question, I do not use AT&T.net for anything but email -- my only calendar is the one in my computer in Outlook.

Thank you for that confirmation. So indeed this primary ATT account is actually the Microsoft account. So yes, please remove it following the steps I gave you, then ADD it and allow the auto discovery of Outlook to set it up as an Exchange account.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OOOOOOKay! Stand by.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK -- problem. When it got to "Search for***@******.*** served settings, it came back Problem Connecting to Server. "An encrypted connection to your mail server is not available. Click next to attempt using an unencrypted connection" I certainly don't want that!

Please proceed with that option then

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OOOOOKay
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry -- still coming back in the Problem Connecting to Server box, asking me to verify the email address and make changes if necessary. But it's correct.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The "Manually configure server settings" box is back, though.

I believe this is caused by the fact that the account is not ending with @outlook.com. I suggest that you access your Microsoft account using a web browser.

Then click on the gear icon on the top right and click on Connected Accounts. In the bottom part of the screen, under Email Aliases, click Manage or choose a primary alias.

Then CREATE a new alias ending with @outlook.com and then make it a primary alias.

Then add this primary alias (now an @outlok.com, not att) to your Outlook 2007 using the steps I gave you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Did the stuff at outlook.com -- now will do the stuff in the mail applet
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK -- got to "Your e-mail account is successfully configured to use Microsoft Exchange. And the new alias shows up in the Account Settings box as type Exchange. BTW: I put my original POP3/SMTP account back in, and identified it as the default account from which to send. Now close the applet and open Outlook?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Lunchtime?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm just holding off on closing the applet and starting Outlook until I have your blessing
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Where'd you go?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This is becoming concerning!
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
At the risk of seeming cruel or morbid, I hope you've had a heart attack, a death in the family, or something else serious enough to explain the lack of response! The stack of kudos for you next to my chair is at risk of toppling over!
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I've got to leave for an hour or so -- hopefully I'll find a response waiting for me when I get back!

Hi, I am very sorry for the late reply. How did it go? Were you able to sync the calendar with your Microsoft account?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No. After I returned and still hadn't gotten any reply, I went ahead and started Outlook. Now no tasks showed on my Outlook Today screen, and no second calendar. Doing Send/Receive did nothing new. So I've deleted the @outlook.com account and am back to square one. Two hours, and then your going AWOL is all the experience I need with just answer. I'll look help elsewhere.

Hi Dick,

I am very sorry about your issues and for not letting you know that I went offline. I was waiting for your reply but had to go sign off for the day since it was already 3:30AM my time.

Now is 10:41am and I can still help you with this issue if you let me.

Apologies,

Jess

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
AM?! I had no idea where in the world you were. And when I said I was back at square one, I misspoke -- really square one-half! I lost all my rules. Thanks for offering to keep trying, but I'm going to seek help elsewhere.

Thank you for using our service and am very sorry if I was not able to help.

We guarantee our service so you can request for a refund of your deposit or you can choose to use it for future questions.

Here is the link about refunding:

ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-can-i-request-refund

Best regards,

Jess

Jess M., Computer Support Specialist