Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Support Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

We are trying to switch our Hotmail account to Windows 10

Customer Question

We are trying to switch our Hotmail account to Windows 10 Mail App, but all of the e-mails to the Hotmail address do not show up when we open the Windows 10 Mail application.
I have tried to Sync This View, but always get an Error Code: 0x85050041
How can I sync the view with the actual contents of the Hotmail.com application?
Category: Email
Expert:  Martin replied 12 months ago.

Hi Tim, welcome.

Is this the first time you're using the Windows 10 Mail app?

Expert:  Martin replied 12 months ago.

I would suggest using something better like Thunderbird instead of the Mail app.

If you like I can set it all up for you

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
We entered the Mail app and set up the account to link to the Hotmail.com account. For several weeks we have opened the Windows Mail app and then used IE to go to the Hotmail.com account and found other e-mails not shown in the Windows Mail listing.
Expert:  Martin replied 12 months ago.

Yes, some of those are sometimes filtered out and remain only on the browser version of Hotmail.

It can also happen with some anti virus programs like Norton

Expert:  Martin replied 12 months ago.

If you want to sync it properly I suggest using Thunderbird instead, it is a lot more reliable

Expert:  Martin replied 12 months ago.

I can link you to the program or can install it for you via a remote session if you want to make sure we get it sync'd properly

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
what is Thunderbird?
Expert:  Martin replied 12 months ago.

It's a mail app made by Mozilla, the same company that created Firefox:

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I have been scammed by remote session before, so I no longer allow that
Expert:  Martin replied 12 months ago.

By those people who call you up pretending to be Microsoft?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
with an Indian accent, I guess you know about them.
Expert:  Martin replied 12 months ago.

Sure do.

Well I'm sorry to hear you've been a victim of one of those scams, we do remote sessions every day without any problems and you contacted me via justanswer.com which you can look up in the Better Business Bureau:

http://www.bbb.org/greater-san-francisco/business-reviews/professional-services-general/justanswer-in-san-francisco-ca-82403/

As you can see it's a legit company with an A+ rating and providing you're not happy with the service you have 30 days to request a refund.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I looked at Thunderbird and it is another e-mail system. There should be a simple way to sync Microsoft Windows Mail with Microsoft Hotmail.com account. That is what I am looking for, not to change e-mail systems.
Expert:  Martin replied 12 months ago.

If you're changing from Hotmail.com to Windows Mail then you're also changing your email system, which we call email clients.

All the email client does is connect you to the IMAP and SMTP servers so you can send and receive email from your computer instead of having to go to the website each time. It also stores the emails on your computer so you can check them offline.

Windows Live Mail, Windows Mail, Thunderbird, Microsoft Outlook, Outlook Express, Eudora, all do the same thing - what I am suggesting is you use Thunderbird instead of the default Windows 10 Mail app which has a number of problems which have yet to be addressed by Microsoft (as does the whole operating system for that matter).

I've been working with computers for 17 years - that's just my advice.

If you'd like to pursue an answer for the error code you received then you can look here:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/windows-10-mail-error-code-0x85050041/47663c50-882e-4d52-9ae4-a6c3022b66be?auth=1

Expert:  Martin replied 12 months ago.

Tim?

Expert:  Martin replied 12 months ago.

Tim, do you still need help?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I went to the Microsoft site you included in the previous message and was reading about lots of people having the same problem, but no definitive answer. It does not seem like we are getting anywhere on solving the issue.
Expert:  Martin replied 12 months ago.

I gave you my advice and an alternate solution which you don't seem willing to consider.

The error code is usually caused by your anti virus blocking the mail app so disabling the anti virus could give you an indication of that being true and help isolate the problem.

I can only help you if you let me

Expert:  Martin replied 12 months ago.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I am not going to turn off my anti-virus while in a chat session (too vulnerable).
Since we have not been able to solve it in over an hour I will you go and you should not charge me for the unresolved question.
Thanks,
Tim
Expert:  Martin replied 12 months ago.

I have given you multiple solutions to your question, Tim.

I think the problem is a trust issue on your behalf and I can't help you with that.

Feel free to contact billing for a refund using this link:

ww2.justanswer.com/contact-us

Take care,