Email

Need Help With Email? Ask Your Email Questions Online

Email

I bought a phone from a guy online a few days ago. I found

Customer Question
I bought a phone from...
I bought a phone from a guy online a few days ago. I found out it is iCloud locked. I don't have his full email address or password ***** he is nowhere to be found. Can you help?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Email
6/24/2016
Email technician: Russell H., Computer Support Specialist replied 1 year ago
Russell H., Computer Support Specialist

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Was your phone sold on eBay.com or some reputable major website?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Facebook Market Place NE San Antonio
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He was texting me through a phone app on his brother's computer.... so he said. He didn't give me his phone number.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He told me to meet him at a gas station. So, I have no address for this guy. His iCloud ID is incomplete. It just says:
*****@******.*** Then it asks me for his password, which, of course, I don't have. ATT said this had to be opened and Find My iPhone needed to be deleted.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't want to be out $40 to your company, if you can help me.

I see.

Unfortunately, everything about this points to your having been sold a stolen phone.

The honest thing to do: take it to the police, report it and its serial number and model #, and perhaps give it to them too. And describe the fence who sold it. This is the most honest thing to do with a stolen phone... though I'm sorry it will be a loss for the amount the fence charged you.

There is no way to unlock an iCloud locked phone. It is an anti-theft mechanism that is supposed to be unbreakable, and is usually activated when the phone is stolen by the owner.

I'm sorry but there is no better conclusion possible for a case like this. I sympathize, but you have been taken in by a dishonest or criminal seller (known in slang English as a 'fence'.)

Since this is not an answer that could please you, I do not present it as an answer, but just a suggestion. I have Opted Out of this case also. This opens the case to others, in case another bit of advice is possible in this sort of case.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
r u there?So, can I get my money back?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I've already reported it to the police. Went to ATT and Apple and they couldn't help.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ATT says it's not reported stolen.

That's puzzling. But evidently stolen property should be turned in, I think.

I have passed a request for a refund to Customer Support at JustAnswer.com, which will take care of it with reasonable promptness. Thank you for asking your question here at JustAnswer.com.

Jess M., Computer Support Specialist