Jason Fenoglio
Jason Fenoglio, Sr. Systems Engineer
Experience:  Sr. Systems Engineer
94203781

I have an Audio Technica AT120 - USB Turnable, Yamaha

Customer Question

I have an Audio Technica AT120 - USB Turnable, Yamaha RX-V379 Receiver and a TC-753LC RIAA Phono Preamp with Aux Input. I have tried Aux 2 & 3 on the Receiver when I switch to the Phono on the preamp, however I am only able to get audio out of the left speaker and you can hear that the right speaker is on. When I switch to the tuner I can hear audio out of both speakers with good sound volume and quality. I really hope you can resolve this issue. There is no ground wire from the preamp to the receiver, could that be the issue?
Thank you,
Barbara Bigger
#(***) ***-****
Category: Email
Expert:  Jason Fenoglio replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I can assist. Would you be able to provide a picture of how the turntable is connected to the preamp? It seems that the right channel might secured or tightened in the wiring. The ground shouldn't be the issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
however the preamp and turntable are connected by male plug inputs, would I be able to send the picture via text?

You can upload it from here using the paper clip.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just sent the picture to the email address provided.

This should be the connection profile from the turntable > preamp > receiver.

Try sending the picture to***@******.***. I'm not sure what e-mail address was given by the site.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just sent the picture to your above address. The diagram you sent is how I have connected everything. By turning the preamp all the way to the right I have been able to get a little audio out of the right speaker, however something is not right due to the sound quality.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let me know if you received the picture and if I need to clarify any odd looking connections.

This looks like it is set up correctly. It seems that it might be a bad audio cable. Can you test the cables with another audio device or switch them out?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Maybe when I was stripping the cable coating from to the bare wires I cut too many wires.....I really don't think so, but I'll check it out. Are you going to stick around or how does this work?

Absolutely. Let me know how it goes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK......I cleaned up the wiring, however now I seem to have a low humming sound on the right speaker and it doesn't seem to put out now. Did I change the settings? I messed with the programming and went back and forth with the AV 2 and 3.
I am going to switch out the speakers and see what I got going there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The speakers are not that old, Sony.

If you wired it the same way, the settings shouldn't have changed. Whenever you test with AV 2 and 3 make sure to move the connections too. I was leaning towards the audio patch cables (red and white cables) being faulty since you are able to get decent sound from the tuner.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have some extra audio patch cables, however the cables that came with the preamp were in the *original* sealed package. I don't know Jason, I'll keep trying.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have some other things to do now, so I'll be back in touch in a couple days. I'll just keep playing around with the system and anything else you can think of, shoot it out to me. Thank you for your advice and assistance so far.Barbara Bigger

You might also try removing the Preamp from the mix to see if the sound improves, even though it won't be at the optimum level. I'd like eliminate the preamp as a cause. Keep me in the loop.

How is the audio sounding now? Have you had a chance to check out the cables?

Hi there! This is Jason with JustAnswer.com checking in to see if you still needed assistance with your issue. Let me know either way.

Just checking in again. Were you able to fix the sound issue? If I was able to give you satisfactory support, please rate me on the faces below.

Jason

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jason,
Sorry, we had a family member hospitalized and have been out of the loop.
I just read your emails. I tried switching speaker cables and the problem is not the speakers. The sound coming out of the speaker attached to the *right* speaker cable input is a low loud hum. Could it possibly be the right receiver channel input on Aux? Again, both speakers work when switched to the tuner.

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully everything is ok now.

I'd try switching the left and right channels around and see if the hum switches to the other speaker. If it does, then it's definitely the channel. If it stays on the same speaker, it's the cable.

Let me know if that helps pinpoint the problem.

Hello again, hope all is well. Were you able to test with my instructions above?

Hello there. I hope you had a great weekend. I wanted to see if you were able to do the tests above on your speakers and if they are working again. Let me know.

Checking in with you again. Were you able to test the speaker cables yet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Aloha Jason,
One of the very first trouble shooting areas I looked at, was switching the speaker cable wires from right to left, that's how I knew it was the right receiver channel. The speakers are fine. Again this is only when switched to aux.
I apologize for this to turn out to be such a lengthy event. I have had the receiver a little over a year however did not get a turn table until later and then discovered I needed a pre-amp after that. Maybe the receiver is faulty.