Email

Need Help With Email? Ask Your Email Questions Online

Email

When I open my inbox, Outlook is displaying all my prior

Customer Question
When I open my...
When I open my inbox, Outlook is displaying all my prior emails (42,000) rather than just my current emails. How do I stop this?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Email
5/31/2016
Email technician: Jason Jones, Computer Technician replied 1 year ago
Jason Jones, Computer Technician

I will be the person helping you today.

I can help you in one of two ways:
1) We will communicate back and forth on this page.
2) Remote support, which would allow me to take a look at the problem and fix it for you while you watch.

In my experiences, remote support saves a lot of time for everybody and is safer because if instructions are not followed correctly, it may make the problem worse or create a new problem.

As a side note, both options are covered by a 100% guarantee and fully refundable, if we are not able to fix your problem.

If you wish to choose the first option, please let me know so we can begin. If you wish to choose the second, better option, then click the Accept this Offer button for Secure Remote Assistance.

Thank you,
Jason

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Please just tell me what to do. Thanks.

This occurs because Outlook will download all mail initially. That means it will download "all" of the email in the account and place it in the Inbox. The quick way to fix it is to create a new folder, select all the email in the inbox, and then click & drag it to the new folder that you just created.

Did that work for you?

I look forward to hearing your feedback concerning whether or not your problem is fixed.

I hope to hear back that all is working. If this is so, please do not forget to rate my help on the top of this page (choose the number of stars and click the Submit button). If it is not, please respond below.

I will be standing by,
Jason

In the future, if you wish to work with me, ***** *****, you may ask your question at the following page. To keep them handy, you may wish to bookmark or favorite one of the pages that are listed below. To be sure that it is sent to me, preface the question with "For ***** ***** Only!".

Profile page:

http://JasonFixedit.com

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
For ***** ***** Only:I have had outlook on this computer for a number of years. This happens "out of the blue".How do I create a new folder?
How do I select all the emails in the inbox because they are downloading into my inbox, which will take days.
Can I simply stop Outlook in downloading everything in my inbox and re-downloading it in by inbox?

That is a different situation. Do you have the email account setup using the POP3 protocol or the IMAP protocol?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
For ***** ***** Only:POP3

In that case, you will have to wait for them to all download because that is how the POP3 protocol works.

If you wish, you can remove the POP3 account and add it back using the IMAP protocol. I have included the IMAP settings below.

Incoming Mail (IMAP) Server

• Server - imap.mail.yahoo.com
  • Port - 993
  • Requires SSL - Yes

Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server

• Server - smtp.mail.yahoo.com
  • Port - 465 or 587
  • Requires SSL - Yes
  • Requires authentication - Yes

As a side note, using the IMAP protocol is preferred for many reasons. One reason is that you have more control over how it operates and it is a lot faster.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If I remove the POP3 account, can I avoid downloading all my old emails?

How IMAP works is that you have control over which folders to download and such. When IMAP 'downloads' an email, it only downloads the header part of the email. It only downloads the email when you choose to open it. In short, it will download, but it will download about 100 times faster.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Unfortunately, I have no idea how to remove POP3 and use the IMAP protocol. Can you "walk" me through this?

Okay, I sure can. Which version of Outlook are you using?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It came with Microsoft Office 2011. Does this help? If not, how do I find the version of Outlook I now have on this machine? I started with Microsoft Office 2011; but, I have updated as the updates arrived.

Thank you.

- Click the circle button on the top left and choose Account Settings.

- Click the POP3 account and click the Delete/Remove button.

- Once that is gone, click the add button and then choose the IMAP account.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am sorry that I am not very tech knowledgeable. I go to my Outlook Inbox and the only circles on the top left are the red, yellow and green circles. When you say: "circle on the top left" are you referring to my Outlook Inbox?

I am sorry. I don't know which layout you have. To you have a "Tools" option in the top toolbar? If so, click that and choose Account Settings.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Incoming Server: pop.bizmail.yahoo.com
(the following is checked) use ssl to connect
Outgoing Server: smtp.bizmail.yahoo.com
(the following are checked) override default port
use ssl to connect

I see that you are using the Bizmail option. Create the following account.

Incoming Mail (IMAP) Server

• Server - imap.mail.yahoo.com
  • Port - 993
  • Requires SSL - Yes

Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server

• Server - smtp.bizmail.yahoo.com (Use SSL/TSL with port 465)
  • Port - 465 or 587
  • Requires SSL - Yes
  • Requires authentication - Yes
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK Jason: I have done all this except that the Server Port is 995 and it won't let me change it.Now what should I do?

Leave it as is and test it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My Inbox is continuing to download my old emails. For example, I just clicked on a downloaded email and it is from May, 2013!I changed the settings; but, I did not click anything so the settings screen still is up.Any suggestions?

May I remote in and take a quick look?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sure

Follow the instructions below to begin the remote helping screen.

Remote page: http://remote.jasonfixedit.com

After clicking the link above, enter the following two digit number: 63 and click the circle button to start the remote application.
(After the file finishes downloading, please open the file and run it.)

Are you having any problems with running that remote application after it is downloaded?

Which Internet browser are you currently using (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, or something of the like)?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am using Safari and it won't download because "identity of develop cannot be confirmed"

Please, do the following:
- Click the Apple icon on the top left
- Click System Preferences
- Click Security
- Click the "General" tab
- Click the "Open Anyways" button and run the program.

Are you still with me?

I look forward to your rating of my help on the top of this page. If you have any questions about rating me, please let me know.

Thank you for your time and please, do not forget to rate my help on this page.

- Jason

In the future, if you wish to work with me, ***** *****, you may ask your question at the following page that you may bookmark/favorite, if you wish. To be sure that it is sent to me, preface the question with "For ***** ***** Only!"

My Profile page:

http://JasonFixedit.com

Jason Jones, Computer Technician