Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Support Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

There. the messages in my outlook outbox for gmail address

Customer Question

hi there. the messages in my outlook outbox for gmail address arent sending. im getting the following error 5.5.1 https://support.google.com/mail/answer/14257 39sm3717522uae.11 - gsmtp
Ive configured incoming server at imap.gmail.com and 993
and outgoing server at smtp.gmail.com and 587
Thanks.
Category: Email
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Gen, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.I am very sorry about your issues. Are you still able to access your Gmail account online using a web browser like Safari?Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.Best regards,Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes i am able to. i didnt have problems with outlook in the past. they happened suddenly.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for writing back with that information.Can I remotely access your computer so that I can directly check your email program (Outlook) and fix the issues while you watch?Remote access (Secure Remote Assistance) is an optional additional service offer with a minimal one-time flat fee regardless of how long it will take me to fix the problem. We can resume any time without additional cost. It is safe as you will be watching your screen and we can chat right there, and it will be a faster mode of help.Please let me know if you want this remote option.Best regards,Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do i need to pay an additional $39 for this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
$70 is very expensive to resolve something that is just one click. if thats the case, please refund me my $30. This is far beyond my budget.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
I am very sorry about the issue. I will send you the formal offer now so that you can try to consider it. But Secure Remote Assistance is an optional additional service with an extra fee.If the offer is expensive, just do not accept it, we can resume in this chat method.Thank you.Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
im sorry, i appreciate that you lowered the fee but i dont agree with paying an additional $15 as this is over and above what i committed to.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
I truly understand your concerns and we can continue in this chat mode of help.Now, please close your Outlook. Better yet, use Force Quit to close Outlook and ensure that it is not running on the background.Then access your Gmail account on the Safari or other web browser.Tell me when you are done.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
done
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Now, please tell me, when you access your Gmail account, did you enter the password *****? Or was it remembered by your browser?This issue you are having could be attributed to a wrong password. If the password ***** remembered, please SIGN OUT from your Gmail, then sign in again by entering the password. This is to test if the password ***** entered in Outlook really works on the web.Tell me when done.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i did. i dont think its a password *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
im having the problem with two accounts i use regularly.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I believe the password ***** entered in Outlook worked when you entered it to sign in to your Gmail in the browser.Now, on Gmail in your browser, click on your avatar or profile picture at the top right of the Gmail page. If there is no avatar there, it could be your Gmail address.After that, click on My Account.Then you will get a new page or tab named My Account.Click on the first group heading called Sign In and Security.In the page that appears, scroll down to the very bottom, locate the slider option that says "Allow less secure apps". If it is OFF, click on the slider to turn it ON.When the status says ON, you can then close that window.Tell me when done.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks. it says "on"
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it already said on
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Where in your screen shot is it saying ON?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that was a screen shot of my account settings in outlook
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this shows ON
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Now, scroll up a little bit on that screen, and then locate 2 Step Verification. If it is ON, please turn it OFF.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
under sign in and security? i dont see it...
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, under Sign in and Security and under a sub-group called Signing In to Google. That is just at the top of the page where you see Allow less secure apps
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry, i dont see that
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Please click on "Signing in to Google" link at the left panel. Or click on this link:https://myaccount.google.com/security?utm_source=OGB&pli=1#signin
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i clicked and still didnt see it. ive attached my screenshot.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, your options there are very limited as compared to my Gmail here.Now, I noticed that your password ***** last changed on 2014. Please change your password ***** to Google's tips on creating a strong password.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok done
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Now, you must have received a notification email about the password ***** Please update your Outlook and enter the NEW password ***** See if you can send and receive without issues.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
unfortunately that did not seem to help.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Please restart your Mac and try your Outlook again. Then tell me the exact error message if you still get one.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes, i did that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are there any issues with the attached settings?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
You are using Google apps since your email is not ending in @gmail.com. Please go to this link:http://www.google.com/accounts/DisplayUnlockCaptchaSign in with your Gmail username and password. If asked, enter the letters in the distorted picture.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it says
Account access enabledPlease try signing in to your Google account again from your new device or application.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, please close your Outlook and then open it again and test your Gmail
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that did not help unfortunately.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Are you still getting the same 551 error? If yes, the next thing that you can do is to check the settings in your Outlook and look for any timing settings. That is, a setting that controls how often Outlook fetches emails. If you find this setting, try to increase the time interval.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any further thoughts?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
I just posted it at the same time you posted
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
these are my current settings
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you and I believe 2 minutes sync settings is causing the issue. Google could have blocked your Outlook for very short intervals of sync requests.Please set it to 10, save and then wait for a few minutes or even hours to test.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay ive changed to 10 min
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what if that doesnt work?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. If Gmail internally blocked your Outlook due to too successive sync requests, setting it to 10 minutes will gradually rectify the issue. That is, please temporarily use the browser to access your emails and monitor the progress every hour or two.If after some time the problem continues, you have the option to delete the IMAP account in Outlook and then ADD it again. But this should be the last option and make sure that ALL of your emails are intact in the webmail before deleting the IMAP account in Outlook.Keep me posted.Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. ive tried adding the account numerous times already with no success...
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Please wait then until the changes propagates and Gmail will stop blocking your sync requests. Keep the timing to 10 minutes and wait for few hours and try to sync again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks. i restarted my computer again. hopefully that helps. Can you confirm that my credit card will not be charged until this is resolved?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i set up a hotmail account on my outlook and didnt have any issues sending out an email. can you confirm that my configurations are correct on gmail?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, your configuration are correct on Gmail. The error message you are getting indicates settings that we have already tried and the last of which is the setting the sync to 10 minutes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
doesnt seem to be working...this is the error message i get.Cannot send mail. The SMTP server does not recognize any of the authentication methods supported by Outlook. Try changing the SMTP authentication options in Account settings or contact your network administrator.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any other suggestions? its been well over 10 minutes now.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the updates. So I believe the 551 error is now gone after changing the sync timing to 10 minutes.For your SMTP server, please try to NOT use the SSL. Please select TLS.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how do i get TLS? i unselected SSL as per the attached. is that all i need to do?
i tried and doesnt seem to work...
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Are you using Outlook or the Mail app? Please explore the settings when you click on More Options.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
outllook
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what do i need to put in here?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
What are the option under Authentication?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
You can also try setting the SMTP or outgoing server port to 465.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
these are the options
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes, i had tried that port earlier
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry here are the options
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Select Use Incoming Server Info
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
so should be blank? i think thats what i had originally.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Authentication failed because Outlook doesn't support any of the available authentication methods. is the error im getting now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this is really taking a long time. will you be able to fix this if you take over my computer?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, and you can always ask for a refund if the issue is not resolved.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
I have sent you the formal offer. Please accept it so that we can start the remote session.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, i had to step away from my computer. my most recent change seems to have fixed the issue. Thank you.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Gen,Thank you for writing back and I am glad it is working now.Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if I was able to help. Tips are always highly appreciated!Thank you for using our service. If you need assistance in the future, you can request me any time by posting a new question starting with "For Jess M" so that I can assist you immediately.Best regards,Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Jess. Can you please confirm that my credit card will only be charged once and that i wont be subject to a monthly invoicing?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Gen,Thank you for writing back. Yes, I can confirm that you have NOT subscribed to our service so this is a one time transaction only and you will not be billed monthly.Thank you for using our service.Best regards,Jess