comp_audio
comp_audio, 20+ Year Computer Expert
Experience:  20+ years experience supporting e-mail issues of all kinds.
44312836

I'm trying to open my Outlook 2010. I get the following

Customer Question

I'm trying to open my Outlook 2010. I get the following error and will not allow me to open up outlook. "Cannot open your e-mail folders" and the correct location of the Outlook.pst file. Thank you.
Category: Email
Expert:  Eric Ewing replied 1 year ago.

Hi George! My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you today.

I have a few suggestions for you which are common methods to resolve this problem. Please try these in order, and let me know whether any resolves the issue for you:

First, try this:

Click START, and in the SEARCH box type: Outlook.exe /resetnavpane

(note the space between ".exe" and "/")

If that doesn't work, check to make sure Outlook is not running in Compatibility Mode:

• Open My Computer>Local Disk C>Program Files>Microsoft Office>Office 12>Outlook.exe. (Or C:\Program Files x86\Microsoft Office>Office 12>Outlook.exe, depending on your computer).
  • Right click on Outlook.exe and click on Properties and then click on Compatibility tab. Check if you have any check mark in any of the compatibility mode options. Make sure you also click on the option "change settings for all users" tab at the bottom of the same screen and look for similar check boxes in the window.
  • If you see any check boxes in the compatibility mode options, uncheck all the boxes and click on Apply and OK.
  • Try to open outlook again

If that *still* doesn't work, try to "repair" your Microsoft Outlook installation by following the steps you'll find here: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Repair-an-Office-application-7821d4b6-7c1d-4205-aa0e-a6b40c5bb88b

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Eric-
I forgot to mention that I also have Outlook 2016 installed on my computer. That version seems to run OK. Also I'm running Windows 10.
George
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tryed your first suggestion about hitting start then Outlook.exe /resetnavpane . It opens the Outlook 2016 version OK. Unfortunately I want to open the Outlook 2010 version as well.
G
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't seem to have the file Office 12 on my computer. I do have Office 14 and 16 however.
G
Expert:  Eric Ewing replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the additional information! The steps I previously sent along should be nearly the same despite being on windows 10, and I think should correct the problem for you. Please give them a try when you can, and let me know what happens.In the meantime, I'm going to do some research to see whether having version 2016 and version 2010 both installed has been known to cause any issues. I don't think so, but I don't know for sure… And I want to be 100% certain we get this problem fixed permanently for you.
Expert:  Eric Ewing replied 1 year ago.
Our last messages to each other crossed paths. :-)Wherever you see office 12 in my directions, go ahead and replace that with office 14. Otherwise, the step should remain the same.Let me know if you run into any other issues.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried your second suggestion for compatibility in OFFICE 14 and set for windows 8.I'm running 10. Any event that solution doesn't work either. I clicked on the Secure Remote Assistance requested button you sent me. What do I do next?
G
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok on the remote connection. Do you have another suggestion?
G
Expert:  Eric Ewing replied 1 year ago.

I am currently mobile and unable to provide remote assistance myself. I am going to step aside and let one of my colleagues take over in order that you can be more quickly serviced. Thank you for your patience...we will have another technician with you very shortly.

Expert:  comp_audio replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I would like to offer the remote service and remote into your pc and attempt to repair this for you. What is a good time that we can schedule this?

Expert:  comp_audio replied 1 year ago.

Let me know when you are ready. Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi-
I have to go out for a few hours. I will message you back as soon as I get back.
Thanks
George
Expert:  comp_audio replied 1 year ago.

ok, thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello-
I'm back. Please let me know what's next.
Thanks-
George
Expert:  comp_audio replied 1 year ago.

If you are ready accept my offer and we can continue. Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I accepted offer and I completed Credit Card info. Are we ready?
George
PS: What's your name?
Expert:  comp_audio replied 1 year ago.

It states payment failure. Please check your email to see what you need to do to continue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm confused. What do I need to do?
George
Expert:  comp_audio replied 1 year ago.

Lets try it again to see if maybe you entered mis-information. Once your payment is verified you will be sent a link to open the remote session.

Expert:  comp_audio replied 1 year ago.

Came back again as payment failure. Please check your email as customer service usually sends one stating why your payment failed. Without the payment processing I am not able to assist remotely.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK I re-entered credit card info.
George
Expert:  comp_audio replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry but it is still showing as payment failure. Please check your email and see if there is an email from Customer Service about why it failed.

Expert:  comp_audio replied 1 year ago.

I have seen this happen before with AMEX and others. Sometimes they hold the payment until you reply to either a email or call from your credit card company verifying it is you that is submitting these charges. Not sure if this is the case or not, but wanted to share that info with you too.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just received a call from my credit card company and verified the $26 payment. I tell you what. I'm sorry but I have to go out again. How about if we continue this tomorrow, Saturday, or even Monday. Tell me how to get in touch with you and maybe we can try this then. That should give the Credit Card company time to approve he charges.
Thanks-
George
Expert:  comp_audio replied 1 year ago.

That is fine. Go ahead and just message me here. Try your best to come back daily and message me so that this ticket remains active, otherwise it will get pulled and you would have to start over, and we both do not want that. Thanks and talk to you soon.

Expert:  comp_audio replied 1 year ago.

Just checking to get an update please.

Expert:  comp_audio replied 1 year ago.

Hello, please remember I am here and waiting to further assist you. If the information I provided answered your question, please remember to come back and accept my answer so that I can get the credit for the work I did for you. If you are still needing assistance then let me know so that we can continue. Thanks