Email

Need Help With Email? Ask Your Email Questions Online

Email

I have gmail and use outlook 2007 to read gmail. Is there a

Customer Question
way where I can force...
I have gmail and use outlook 2007 to read gmail. Is there a way where I can force gmail (web) to synchronize with outlook ? so it usually pushes from gmail to outlook. Now i want to push outlook to gmail. My iphone glitch caused all my mail to be moved to all mail. Now I have an offline copy and want to restore where everything was back.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Email
3/1/2016
Email technician: GeekGal, Email Support Specialist replied 1 year ago
GeekGal
GeekGal, Email Support Specialist

My name is*****'m a certified computer professional with 15 years of experience. It would be my pleasure to assist you with this. Outlook can be a bit buggy when it comes to syncing. I do have a couple of questions. Would you be willing to allow me to connect to your computer and work on this while you watch? I would like to check to see if your account in Outlook as a POP account or as an iMap account. I prefer iMap myself because it's server-based (that is, mail resides on Google's servers, not on your PC). If it is indeed iMap, we can safely remove the account,then re-add and it will download exactly what is on the gmail web program. Please let me know if you'd like to try this. Thanks!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Alison, thank you so much for your offer. Actually my problem is that gmail has all of the emails in "All Mail". It was caused by an iphone glitch. My outlook runs on imap so I actually don't want it to download exactly whats on gmail. I'd like to do the opposite and upload my outlook emails to the gmail web interface. Can this be done ?

I'm sorry but I know of no way to do that. I will "opt out" and see if another expert has a solution for you Have a great day!

Email technician: Dustin, Email Specialist replied 1 year ago
Dustin, Email Specialist
Experience: Specializing in Thunderbird, Eudora, Outlook, Outlook for Mac, Mac Mail, Windows Live mail, Incredimail and a few others! Also Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

I know of one way to achieve this, and it isnt pretty. What you have to do is make sure outlook is in offline mode so that it dosnt sync and wipe out what you have.

Then, in your personal folders section this is what you do.

Lets say you have a folder in gmail imap outlook labeled as [gmail] Old Stuff

In your personal folder section ( outside of gmail ) create a new folder and call it Gmail Old Stuff.

Now open [gmail] old stuff in the gmail outlook folder. left click once in the email list and then press ctrl A.. then right click and move the messages to personal fodler > gmail old stuff.

Once the copy operation completes.. Repeat the above for each folder. Once you have moved all the mail out of gmail this way. Take it out of offline mode and let it sync.. Its going to wipe out your folder stucture and mirror whats on the server. Once its done. You can then go back into gmail imap through outlook, right click the [gmail] imap folder, and click new folder.. Now rebuild the folder structure we just copied name for name.

And copy the messages back to gmail. this will force an upload from outlook to gmail.

If you have further questions, let me know!

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent ( 5 stars ) selected and submitted below this answer or at the top right of the screen. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Dustin, Email Specialist