Email

Need help with email? Ask your email questions online

I am getting multiple identical emails, my service provider…

Customer Question
I am getting multiple identical...
I am getting multiple identical emails, my service provider says it is not at their end.
Why would it download the same messages every time is scans for new mail?
I have 14 or more copies of the same email in one case. It has also gone back to a week ago Tuesday and downloaded the identical email.?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Email
2/25/2016
Email technician: GeekGal, Email Support Specialist replied 2 years ago
GeekGal
GeekGal, Email Support Specialist

My name is*****'m a certified computer professional with 15 years of experience. It would be my pleasure to assist you with this . Can you tell me a little more about the problem that you are having? Do you think that you may have a virus, or possibly spyware or malware?

How could I check for that?
I am checking with Windows Defender.

I will be happy to provide detailed written instructions for checking for and cleaning any viruses, spyware, and/or malware that you might have. Can you tell me what is going on that makes you think you might have one? What problems are you having? What version of Windows do you have on out your computer?

I have an email account that is receiving multiple identical emails, say 14 copies of the exact same email, same time, same message.
I am running Outlook. Did you see my original question?

Ahhh. That could possibly be a virus. I have uploaded complete instructions for checking your computer for viruses. However, it could also be an issue with the way that your email client is configured. Can you tell me who the email provider is? Does it end in @gmail.co,. @outlook.com, @hotmail.com, etc. ?

I believe that a SECURE REMOTE CONNECTION would be the fastest and easiest way to resolve your issue and I have offered this as an Additional Service. This is optional, and if you choose not to do this, I can try to find a way to help you here.

Impulse internet services, [email protected]
grayarchitects.com
They say the problem is not at their end.

I apologize. I did not see the original details but I have read up on the issue now. It sounds like it may be a problem with the configuration of Microsoft Outlook. Please give me just a moment to research possible issues. Can you me what version of Outlook you are using?

Office 365

Let's begin with the easy things. Let's check to see if any Outlook Add-Ins are running. Click FILE > Options > Add-Ins. Try disabling all non-Microsoft Add-Ins. closing Outlook 365 and re-opening to test again.

I don't have any add-ins

OK. Do you have any rules setup? Rules, and more specifically “Move to folder” rules, often cause duplication issues. This is because for each e-mail received, Outlook will fire all configured rules against it. The following example will show how this can lead to duplicates.

In this example there are two rules configured;

1. Apply this rule after the message arrives
    from Robert Sparnaaij
    move it to the Outlook folder
  2. Apply this rule after the message arrives
    with Outlook in the subject
    move it to the Outlook folder

Now imagine that you receive an e-mail from me where I have the word Outlook in the subject; both rules with apply! So it will get moved out of the Inbox two times and thus create a duplicate.

The way to prevent this, is to add the action “stop processing more rules” to the rule. If we would add that action to the first rule and the rule applies the action “stop processing more rules” will prevent that the second rule will be executed as well.

Ok. There are a number of other things that we can check. Do you have any additional email accounts that are setup in the Outlook client? is it possible that any of them are aliases of the main account?

In the case of an alias, you would basically have the same account configured twice as all emails from either alias is being received in the same mailbox.

When you also have the option configured to leave a copy on the server (POP3 account), both accounts will collect the same e-mail leaving you with duplicates. To read up on the difference between a separate mailbox and aliases see: About mailboxes, addresses and aliases.

Also, if you have recently had to rebuild your profile because of issues, this can lead to duplicates if not done in a very specific way. Is there anything that you can think of that has happened recently that could have something to do with this?

goes to ******@g*******.***
******@*****.***

Thank you. That is very helpful . Please read this closely and see if there is anything here that can help you. Also, you said there were no rules, but there must be if you have things being forwarded.

************************************************************************************

When you configure multiple accounts in Outlook, make sure that these are indeed separate accounts and not just aliases for the same mailbox.

To prevent duplicates from alias accounts (other than removing them), you must configure the alias account not to receive e-mails since they are already being received by the original account;

• Outlook 2007 and previous
    Tools-> Options-> tab Mail Setup-> button Send/Receive-> button Edit…-> select the alias account-> uncheck Receive mail items
  • Outlook 2010 and Outlook 2013
    tab Send/Receive-> button Send/Receive Groups-> Define Send/Receive Groups…-> button Edit…-> select the alias account-> uncheck Receive mail items

You’d then still be able to select with which address you send out your emails.

***************************************************************************************

I truly believe that a SECURE REMOTE CONNECTION would be the fastest and easiest way to resolve your issue and I have offered this as an Additional Service. This is optional, but if you choose not to do this, I think I need ot opt out and refer you to another expert.

Haven't had to rebuild profile. Don't have any idea of anything happening that would cause this.
I do not want a secure remoite connection, have had a VERY bad experience with doing that.
I am going to sign off now. Thank you very much for your help.
For some reason I can't rate you ?

I understand. I'm sorry that you had a bad experience, but this will just be too time consuming and difficult to resolve through question and answer. You can't rate me yet, because we haven't completed solving the problem. Honestly, I don't see how you could possibly give me a good rating since we haven't resolved the issue. I am "opting out" and asking other experts to try to help you . You will be able to rate the person who ultimately helps you. Thank you though.

Email technician: Jason Jones, Computer Technician replied 2 years ago
Jason Jones, Computer Technician

I will be the person helping you today. I wish to offer Secure Remote Assistance. I do see that you have some anxiety regarding the remote services, but wanted to just ask once more to see if you have changed your mind. I personally have remoted into computers several thousand times with no problems. Once the remote session begins, we will be able to communicate via a chat window on your computer.

Thank you,
Jason

Have you read through the problem and the answers?

Yes.

I do not want to securely donnect
connect

I understand. I will opt out and allow another to help. Thank you.

I want to end this
How do I stop this? I just want a refund because this isn't helping.