Email

Need Help With Email? Ask Your Email Questions Online

Email

Since El Capitan my mail keeps presenting me with a old

Customer Question
calendar alert, and its unuseable...
Since El Capitan my mail keeps presenting me with a old calendar alert, and its unuseable, i deleteed all my acconts and now when setting them up the address options are greyed out.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Mac Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Thats it!
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Mac Technician should know?
Customer: Only that the issue seems commonplace...
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mac Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Email
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/22/2016
Email technician: Richard, Email Systems Specialist replied 1 year ago
Richard, Email Systems Specialist

Hi there and welcome

Can you go to the "Mail" Preferences->Accounts Tab, and after choosing the account on the left side, click on "Advanced" along the top right.

Then deselect the box "Automatically detect and maintain account settings".

Then tell me if the box is not greyed out anymore please

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Already not greyed out.

Sorry I do not completely understand your response. Your saying its not greyed out anymore?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the fix was 'fixed' when I looked there.
What else please?

If its fixed.. then what more do you need?

Sorry but I am really not following on your messages... The issue is the boxes are greyed out, you replied, they are not greyed out now after doing my instructions and the fix is fixed.

So you can now add your mail accounts right?

I can see you are a first time user to the site. What we do here is either a question and answer type of conversation or remote support where I would actually connect to the computer and have a look and attempt to fix the problem for you.

Remote support can save a lot of time if you are not comfortable performing repairs yourself. Sometimes even with instructions you can make a mistake and make things worse.

I will send an offer through for remote support and should you accept I will connect and see what is going on and fix the issue. Otherwise we can continue to talk like this but I will need to ask a number of other questions and try and walk you through some steps.

Both options are 100% guaranteed by the way. Remote is just quicker and avoids the risk of you making a mistake and doing something wrong.

If you want remote click get extra help. If not simply reply to me.

Thanks,

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK I can see gmail imap.
I am quite competent thank you! This is a problem apple can't fix, so paid support is my last resort, plus I'm busy, as I am sure you are.
Now I can see imap in the account information section, but the email I have had in there before it went bad, is greyed out as are the server, full name outgoing and incoming server, user name greyed out.

I am sorry, but I am finding it very hard to understand your communications and if you have even done my initial instructions, this is why I offered the additional services, else we will be spending a lot of time try to just communicate basic instructions.

Just to be sure, you do not want me to take over the computer and fix this and you would prefer to work here via messages correct?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The main and original issue was the apple mail system after el capitan just kept flashing a old calendar alert, via email, it was impossible to use the entire setup, so in following forum advice I unistalled every.
I followed your initial instructions, the box was not greyed out when I looked there, is that clear now?

No problem, I am going to opt out of working with you further as I find it difficult to understand your messages, this is probably an issue on my side.

You do not need to do anything, you will be notified if another expert takes over your case and you can continue with them.

Thank you.

Email technician: Dustin, Email Specialist replied 1 year ago
Dustin, Email Specialist
Experience: Specializing in Thunderbird, Eudora, Outlook, Outlook for Mac, Mac Mail, Windows Live mail, Incredimail and a few others! Also Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

Im sending you an offer for a secure remote connection, where I can temporarily connect to your mac and work on this issue directly.

This is the most effective use of my expertise and this will save us both a ton of time. If I am unsuccessful in fixing the issue, you will be entitled to a full refund of all fees.

Once that offer is accepted, I will send you the connection steps.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
hello dustin, thank you for your offer of assistance, unfortunately, I am in dispute with this company over the tethod of billing for this service, in essence, I was asked for a $5 'good faith' deposit, which was then billed as a much higher charge, I am more upset because there is a 7 day trial period, that is on offer, which I was not given the option of when I asked my question, there was a $$ offer radio button i could not deselect when I contacted the first expert (who was unable to 'understand' me) anyway, it's not your problem, but just to have a record of this somewhere, since they are not responding in customer support.Will.

Its very strange that customer support isnt responding, as we have an entire office dedicated to customer support.

Im not sure how you are reaching them, have you tried calling in?

US/Canada1-***-***-****

Available 6am to 9pm PST

International

Australia1800-679-634

New Zealand0800-452-621

United Kingdom0***-***-****

The rest of the world1-***-***-****

Dustin, Email Specialist