Email

Need help with email? Ask your email questions online

My wife passed away suddenly about two months ago. I've

Customer Question
Hello, my wife passed away...
Hello, my wife passed away suddenly about two months ago. I've charged up her Surface but having never used it, I need to reset the password. Help, please.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Email
2/20/2016
Email technician: Viet - Email Tech, Computer Support Specialist replied 2 years ago
Viet - Email Tech
Viet - Email Tech, Computer Support Specialist

I'm sorry about the issue. Does the Microsoft Surface laptop have windows xp, vista, or 7 or 8 or 10?

Does it show a name or username at the password ***** login screen?
Does it show an email address at the password ***** login screen?
Is it okay to reset the laptop fresh, so you can re-set it up fresh, like brand-new, with a new password ***** want?

Please reply at the box below. Thank you.

Please try the following:

Solution #1:

- If there is an email address showing on the problematic Surface laptop, then please try the following steps:

1. Click on the website below:

https://account.live.com/ResetPassword.aspx

2. Then there, select the option "I forgot my password", then click on Next at the bottom.

3. Then in the first box, type in your email address.

4. Then in the second box, type in the characters as shown on the page.

5. Then click on Next at the bottom. Then follow the instructions there in order to reset your Microsoft account password

, then try it on the Surface laptop.

Solution #2:

- If that does not work, or you can just do the following steps on the Surface laptop in order to reset it:

1. At the password ***** login screen, press and keep holding the Shift key on the keyboard.
  2. Click on the Power icon at the bottom right of the computer's screen, then click on the option Restart while still holding the Shift key.
  3. When a menu appears, then you can release the Shift key.
  4. When prompted, click on the Troubleshoot option.
  5. Then select the option Reset PC, and continue.
  6. When prompted, select the option "Removing everything" and/or option "Just remove files", and continue.

When you are available, please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help further. Thank you.