Email

Need help with email? Ask your email questions online

A friend of mine had an AOL account which he did not use…

Customer Question
A friend of...

A friend of mine had an AOL account which he did not use for a couple of years. he has recently been able to access it again but the emails in it only go back to 2009. Cont... Are they gone forever or is it possible for AOL to retrieve the older ones (perhaps for a fee)? Thanks

Technician's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I sent the first paragraph before I had finished typing.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Email
1/24/2016
Email technician: Cody, Senior Systems Administrator replied 2 years ago
Cody
Cody, Senior Systems Administrator

The emails are essentially permanently gone from AOL's servers. There is no way to contact AOL to retrieve them.

If they had AOL setup within Microsoft Outlook, Windows Live Mail, or something similar at one time. They may have had AOL setup with a pop3 account which downloads emails from AOL servers to their computer locally, which then removes them from the servers as well. So without the emails saved locally on a computer somewhere they can't be recovered.

You said "There is no way to contact AOL to retrieve them", not that they can not be retrieved by AOL. I have "contacts" at AoL. Would that help? Also the emails are needed for a legal matter, so there may be funding for AOL to try and find them ...if we can contact them.

If you have a way to contact AOL, it's worth a try. I would say the chances they have a backup dating 6+ years is unlikely. Usually places like this has a policy of how long they keep a backup for certain things. Email is not going to be high on the list, they probably only have a record dating back a couple months at most when they are deleted from the account.

Email technician: Sandy, Computer Specialist replied 2 years ago
Sandy
Sandy, Computer Specialist

Hi, I'm Sandy and I look forward to help you today with the best answer possible.

I'm sorry about the issue.

I will work with you until it gets fixed. This is a question and answer session. Please do not hesitate to reply back to me at the box given below.

It is unlikely that AOL keeps backup of emails for long time. But, to confirm that I suggest you to please contact AOL team on this number:***-***-****

Regards, Sandy