Email

Need help with email? Ask your email questions online

When you transfer emails from Outlook to a network folder,

Customer Question
is there a way to...
When you transfer emails from Outlook to a network folder, is there a way to maintain the original received date? When I move emails it saves the email in the new folder under a new created date. I would like to search by received date of email.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Email
1/21/2016
Email technician: Dustin, Email Specialist replied 2 years ago
Dustin, Email Specialist
Experience: Specializing in Thunderbird, Eudora, Outlook, Outlook for Mac, Mac Mail, Windows Live mail, Incredimail and a few others! Also Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

I need to gather a bit more information before I ask further questions or suggest anything. So lets start with~

1. What version of outlook are you working with, 2010,2013, 2016
  2. The network folder, what type of device is it being saved on. A Server 2008 workstation, windows 7, mac server?
  3. What method are you using to transfer emails to the network folder specifically?

Thank you for your response,

Dustin S.

I have outlook 2013 and I'm transferring to my user drive on the network. We use Windows 7.
I've tried to drag and drop and I've copied and paste but get the same results.

To maintain the message details, you cannot copy and paste or drag and drop.

Instead, if you want the message details /metadata / time and date to be maintained. you instead need to go to

File, open and export, export, export to a file, choose the folder and export it to a pst file.

It shows that process on this page.

http://www.cumc.columbia.edu/it/howto/email/exp13.html

To keep the message details it has to be exported from the export wizard~ I hope that helps.

If you get stuck or have further questions let me know.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent ( 5 stars ) selected and submitted below this answer or at the top right of the screen. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

I do not use .pst files. we are not allowed to create new .pst here. I want to just move them to a regular file share.
Which I can but it changes the dates. I wanted to keep the original received date if possible.

The only way this is going to work, is if you can map the network location into your outlook program.

So that outlook recognizes that network location inside its own folder structure. A copy and paste outside of outlook will always drop the metadata..

The only way to keep the metadata is to use the import /export wizard..

Dustin S.

ok thanks

Not a problem.. If you have any further questions, let me know.

Dustin S.