Email

Need Help With Email? Ask Your Email Questions Online

Email

I am looking better solution simple task that I perform

Customer Question
I am looking for a...
I am looking for a better solution for a simple task that I perform hundreds of times a day...copying an email address (only the email address, not the contact with name and formatting) from an email, to my clipboard. I am using outlook 2013. The current process that I use: Select the email item, hover over the the the contact name, click the dropdown arrow at the bottom right corner of the contact window (that only appears after a second or two of hovering), mouse over to the email address in the window, right click and select "copy email". PLEASE tell me there is a better way!
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Email
1/15/2016
Email technician: Dustin, Email Specialist replied 1 year ago
Dustin, Email Specialist
Experience: Specializing in Thunderbird, Eudora, Outlook, Outlook for Mac, Mac Mail, Windows Live mail, Incredimail and a few others! Also Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

Theres certainly an easier way to do what your doing. let me ask you a few questions to get started.

Do these emails almost always come from the same email addresses or addresses?

The address you are manually copying, is it included in the body of the email or do you mean the senders email address?

When you output them to a clipboard file, where do you put the email addresses after that, into a word document, into another program, into another email?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
they are all different emails. they are random senders (candidates. I am a recruiter) they are rarely included in the body of the email. once in the clipboard, I often search for them in an excel doc, paste them into other search feilds and track them in various other ways.

Ok, let me ask this then. Do these emails arrive inside of a specific email account that only contains these random messages that you need to copy the emails from?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
but sometimes they are sorted using various rules into different folders within my one work account

As long as they are all arriving to the same exact email account, that should give us something to work with.

You mentioned each email gets sorted into a folder. The below steps would allow you to perform one simple operation, and you would pull just the email addresses from all emails in that folder and put them into an excel worksheet in one motion.

This would be the most effective if all the email messages were in the same exact folder.. Then youd only have to do this once a day.

Even if you have those messages siphoning into ten different folders, youd still only have to do the following ten times a day ( once for each folder) , and thats better then hundreds~

1. Click the File tab, and then select Options.
  2. In the navigation pane (left pane), click Advanced.
  3. In the Export section, click the Export button.
  4. Click Export to a file. Click Next.
  5. In Create a file of type, choose Microsoft Excel 97-2003. Click Next.
  6. In Select folder to export from, click the folder that you want to export. Click Next.
  7. Click Browse.
  8. Name the file EXPORT ADDRESSES. Click OK. Click Next.
  9. Click the Map Custom Fields button.
    If this button is not highlighted, click the check box for Export "E-Mail messages" instead.
  10. Click Clear Map.
  11. From the left side, drag the From: (Address) value to the right side of the dialog box. Click OK.
  12. Click Finish. Click OK. You can now go to the E-mail Address Cleanup section.

Now, you may be asking what if this creates duplictaes.. Or what if you need to run this on the same folder each day of the week. You dont want mondays email addresses repeated 5 times by friday. Excel offers an easy way to access the list and clean up duplicate email addresses. To do so, read over the following..

1. Open EXPORT ADDRESSES.xls.
  2. Right-click on Row 1 and choose Delete.
  3. Click the A COLUMN ID (the entire column should become selected).
  4. In the Cells group, click Format and then select AutoFit Column Width.
  5. In the Editing group, click Sort & Filter and then select Sort A to Z.
  6. Save the file.
  7. Click the Data tab.
  8. In the Data Tools group, click Remove Duplicates. Column A should be checked. Click OK.
  9. If any duplicates are found, you will be told. Click OK.

Try this out, if it doesnt work for you or if you dont think it will work for you we can discuss other options.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent ( 5 stars ) selected and submitted below this answer or at the top right of the screen. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
that doesn't solve the problem. I need to deal with each email individually. Finding a specific email within a spreadsheet is the problem I am trying to solve...not the problem I am looking to create. I realize that I can join the two excel sheets to find matches, but that still doesn't help me to deal with the specific task as they arise, in order of receipt, and in an ongoing manner.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I need a code function that somehow separates all of the TEXT EMAIL ADDRESS's from the "Contact Name " format in such a way that I can copy it with one click
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
contact Name ""
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ha! this tool won't allow me to add open and close < symbols
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
lets try this way...I need a one-click way to select the TEXT EMAIL ADDRESS from the format Contact Name (greater than symbol) "TEXT EMAIL ADDRESS" (less than symbol) for every email I receive

My apologies, Im going to opt out.

You need someone familiar with vba code usage in outlook and excel~

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
will someone else pick up this thread?
Email technician: Michael Hannigan, Email Expert replied 1 year ago
Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Email Expert

Hello. My name is***** you still need help with this?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
are you still there tonight?

I am back today. I have tried several iterations, but none of them are working on Outlook 2016. I am going to try with 2013 today. There are security restrictions on 2016 that don't exist in 2013, so I think that may be the problem.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am very interested to see what you discover. thanks

I will let you know. Still working on it. It really shouldn't be this difficult, but then again, I guess we can usually say that.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I totally agree. I find myself questioning why this issue hasn't been resolved by MS themselves yet. I CANT be the only person who is frustrated by the sender formatting.

Well, it's a case of absolutely crazy security concerns. They've locked up Outlook so tight, it's barely functional any more.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
are you giving up?

No. I have something now that will extract the address

Public Sub GetCurrentItem()
On Error Resume Next
Set ObjSelectedItem = Outlook.ActiveExplorer.Selection.Item(1)
If TypeName(ObjSelectedItem) = "MailItem" Then
If ObjSelectedItem.SenderEmailType = "EX" Then
MsgBox (ObjSelectedItem.Sender.GetExchangeUser.PrimarySmtpAddress)
Else
MsgBox (ObjSelectedItem.SenderEmailAddress)
End If
Else
MsgBox ("No items selected (OR) Selected item not a MailItem.")
End If
Set ObjSelectedItem = Nothing
End Sub

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok can you tell me where I save the code in my machine?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
is this going to be a "custom Form" in outlook?

No. This is just a macro. So you will have to add the developer ribbon through customizing your ribbon. Then under developer, click on visual basic and just paste it in there. Then it will show up under macros. You can also create a button for it so you can just highlight the email and click the button.

This does extract the email, but it doesn't put it in the clipboard. Copying to the clipboard in Outlook will take than an extra hundred lines of code (not exaggerating) because it requires calls to the Windows API. There is no way around this that I can find from within Outlook.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
please walk me through customizing the window. I am very excited to try this. I think I need to first put in the macro addin O don't see any option to add macro now
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
how do I add a develper ribbon? I see visual basic as a option on customize ribbon....

Take a look here:

http://bitli.es/iG1b5g

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok - gimme a few

That will give you the developer ribbon. On that you will have the options for visual basic and macros.

That customize area is the same place you can add a button for a specific macro.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
once I create the VBAProject.OTM - Module1 (code) do I need to do anything else?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok - it is doing something. It pops up a window with the email in a little windo when I say run macro on an email item...but how do I make it run by itself so that I can copy the address with one click?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the the text in the little window...it isnt even selectable :(

Did you read what I typed to you above?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
im rereading now...I am looking at customize ribbon...trying to figure out the next step

What I said above was that copying to the clipboard - that step, if done programmatically from Outlook, will take in excess of one hundred lines of additional code.

It can be done, but it would take a considerable additional time investment.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can't use this solution as is unless I am missing a step somewhere. The text in the window isn't selectable so I can't copy it to the clipboard by using the macro at all.

I can probably make that selectable with a reasonable amount of work. But you would have to manually copy it.

Like I said, I could program it to the clipboard, but we'd be talking about a few hours of work.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the problem that I am trying to solve is a very simple process. a matter of hovering once and clicking twice. The solution I am looking for, needs to optimize on that. so far, this fails. IF macro ran itself when I clicked on an email and provided a unobtrusive place where I could right click and select the copy the email, then it would succeed
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't think autocopy to clipboard is a good idea anyways. I don't ALWAYS want to copy the email and if I always overwrote what was in the clipboard, that would be a problem :)

You can't auto run a macro like that. It just isn't possible within outlook. The best you could do is create a button to click.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
click the button, and a window with selectable text opens is the best I can get without hours of coding time?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
can the text already be selected in the window?

That's the best you can get. It cannot be highlighted, but it could be selectable. The challenge is that with anything that simulates interactivity, windows just won't allow it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
where can this mythical button be located?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
would each email have a button?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
can any other action trigger it? how about selecting the sender? doublle clicking the sender icon? control z?

It's not mythical. As I said before, you can create it in the same "customize" area of outlook. You would create a button assigned to the macro, just like the macro I gave you, but with selectable text. You could assign it to a keyboard shortcut.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I wasnt doubting you. Sorry it it sounded I was. I was wondering where the button would be on the outlook page once assigned...I am trying to figure out how optimal this solution is to save time

It would appear in your ribbon - you can basically place it where you want.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
when you say ribbon, you mean at the top - not on the email, right?

As the macro is, if you use CTRL+C it will copy the dialog box. Of course, in Windows, nothing can be perfect... it copies the entire dialog. And while you can get rid of the title easily, you can't get rid of the button easily. So you get something like this.

---------------------------
Microsoft Outlook
---------------------------***@******.***
---------------------------
OK
---------------------------

Not in the email - it would be in your toolbar.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
please reread the problem I am trying to solve.

I've spent a great deal of time on this for you. I am going to opt out at this point.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thanks anyways :(
Email technician: Michael Norman, Information Systems Manager replied 1 year ago
Michael Norman
Michael Norman, Information Systems Manager

Hello, my name is, Mike. I see there has been some challenges in trying to solve your issue. It would seem to me the easiest solution would be to configure your mouse so that a single click performs the copy function and another click performs the paste function.

Take a look at these two options and see if they may meet your needs:

http://www.auto-clicker.com/2011/03/automate-copy-and-paste-with-auto-mouse-clicker-software/

http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/autoclipx-copy-and-paste-text-with-single-mouse-click/

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can't tell if these will solve my problem. Have you gotten it to work for you?

I have not tried these personally, because I have never had the same requirement that you have. I merely offered these as suggestions since it seems none of the previous recommended solutions seemed to meet your needs. Your biggest complaint appears to be that there are too many steps you have to do to perform the copy and paste actions that you want to do. Therefore I can only recommend looking for ways to reduce the number of steps. If you want to limit your steps to using the mouse buttons alone then the options I provided could be what you are looking for.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I downloaded the second one on your list. I don't see how this tool can be programmed to do what I want. Maybe it can, but it is beyond my ability to configure.

You have had multiple experts attempt to help and neither has had any success. So it is quite possible that you may not find a solution that does exactly what you want it to do.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
do you use outlook? can this be used to copy just the text of an email without any added symbols names or spaces? just***@******.***

Yes I use Outlook. But here is what you need to understand about the issue you are encountering. With Outlook it shows email addresses as <*****@******.***> however there are no spaces between the <> symbols and the actual email address. So using simple click to highlight functions wont work because it reads the entire email address as well as the <> symbols all as one. There is no solution that will resolve that. You simply have to click on the inside of < and drag the inside of > then use your copy and past shortcuts.

If you want to copy the email address from the email you received, in Outlook you can mouse over the email address and a pop-up box appears. If you mouse over the the bottom right corner of the pop-up box to the arrow point time down the pop-up box expands. Then mouse over the email address and right click and select copy. This will copy the email address without the <> symbols.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
yup that is my problem. I agree there is currently no solution

Read my last post. See if that works for you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
that is what I am currently doing.

You could try exporting your emails to Excel and then simply deleting the data you don't need.

http://yourbusiness.azcentral.com/export-outlook-emails-excel-spreadsheets-15108.html

Michael Norman
Michael Norman