Bryan, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ years of professional support for tech-related issues, including computers, email and software.
12615041

I cant get my outlook to load on my iPhone 6, it worked past

Customer Question

I cant get my outlook to load on my iPhone 6, it worked for the past year now all of a sudden it says server error
Category: Email
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Hi, and thank you for asking your question.

Please carry out the following steps on the iPhone now:

Tap Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars, and then tap your email account listed.

Scroll down to the bottom and then tap "Delete account".

Next, go back to Mail, Contacts, Calendars, and then tap the "Add account" option.

Follow the on-screen directions to add your Outlook account one more time; it should work all right now.

If you need any further assistance with this issue, please be sure to reply back using the box below.

Otherwise, if you could kindly click on (and submit) one of the star buttons at the top of this page to rate my service, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thank you :)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have done that it doesn't work
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

I see. Now, please open up www.outlook.com on your browser as a test; are you able to login to your account this way itself?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can log in on my browser
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Okay. Please allow me just a couple of minutes - looking up any possible server outages that might be causing the issue here.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

OK; Outlook is indeed down for users with email clients, e.g. Mail app; you may confirm this using the following link:

http://downdetector.com/status/outlook

One moment; looking up any possible workarounds to resolve the issue, until Microsoft resolves this at their end itself.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok when is it back?
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

OK; I have looked up the info on Microsoft's end now, and they have acknowledged the issue and confirmed that they are working on a fix - it will be back up within 24-48 hours.

As a workaround until this issue gets resolved at their end, please tap the App Store app on your iPhone, and then search for Microsoft Outlook - download and install that app, and then open it up. Follow the on-screen prompts to set up your Outlook account, and you will be able to access and send emails all right using the same.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried that before I messaged you too it did not work either
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

In the Microsoft Outlook app, did you set up the account as IMAP, or did you directly use the "Outlook.com" option?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

One moment; let me provide you with the manual steps to set up the account now, instead of using the Outlook.com option itself. Be right back.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Please try this now:

Go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars, and then tap "Add Account".

Next, tap the "Other" option this time. Tap "Add Mail Account".

Next, fill in the required account details and tap "Next".

Does it allow you to add and access the account all right this way?

Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it doesn't it says server timed out
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

OK; in that case, you will just need to access your emails temporarily through your browser for now, until Microsoft resolves the issue at their end (within 24-48 hours.)

I just tested with my iPad as well; it's having the same issue. I'm sorry I couldn't be of further assistance with this issue, as our hands are tied here - kindly do not let this reflect on your rating for my service. Thanks again.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

I have looked up some manual settings for you to try now, as follows:

Set up the email account as "Other" one more time; when the server times out, tap "Show advanced settings" and then manually fill in the following settings:

• Incoming (IMAP) Server

• Server address: imap-mail.outlook.com

• Port: 993

• Encrypted Connection: SSL

Outgoing (SMTP) Server

• Server address: smtp-mail.outlook.com

• Port: 587

• Authentication: Yes

• Encrypted Connection: TLS

Done that, check if it works with these settings, this time. Do keep me posted.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Please update me on the results when you can; thanks.