Dustin, Email Specialist
Experience:  Specializing in Thunderbird, Eudora, Outlook, Outlook for Mac, Mac Mail, Windows Live mail, Incredimail and a few others! Also Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

I accidentally allowed upgrade to Thunderbird and lost alot

Customer Question

I accidentally allowed upgrade to Thunderbird and lost alot of my folders
on my Window 7 32 bit computer. These folders are important to me.
I realized later the problem was I had to much data - emails out there.
I deleted over 150k emails and finally got Mozbackup to create a clean bkup file.
c:\\Thunderbird 38.4.0 (en-us) 2015 - 12- 26.pcv on Win 7 machine.
This is what I am trying to do. The computer running Window 7 32 bit with latest MSFT updates is where I lost many folders. I have a Window XP running
with most of my folders and good backup.
Thunderbird 31.6.0 (en-us)-2015-12-13.pcv
On My Win XP machine I located pcv file and copied it to flash drive. I had
used this machine before and when I went to new Win 7 machine I migrated to
Thunderbird to Win 7 by running Mozbackup with restore from pcv file on the
flash drive from XP machine. Worked fine.
What I want to do is run this again after removing Thunderbird completely from
my Win 7 machine and restoring and getting 90% of my folders back from the XP
Machine. Good enough.
Then taking backup pcv file from Window 7 machine and running this on my
Window XP machine to save any data I have accumulated on the Window 7 machine
and so I can always refer to this information if I need it.
Problem: I cannot get to the c:\\Thunderbird 38.4.0 (en-us)-2015-12-26.pcv
to copy to a flash drive. I set machine to show all hidden files.
I can go into Mozbackup on Win 7 machine and find the 2015-12-26.pcv file,
but cannot copy file to flash drive, I have used 16gb and 32 gb flash drives and when I try to do the copy says there is not enough space on drive.
Help , I need help because I tried everything that I know. Also I cannot find
the pcv file in the Window 7 machine, only running Mozbackup shows the pcv
file on Win 7 machine. David
Category: Email
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Tim and will do my best to assist you. can you go to 2015-12-26.pcv file, right click it and look at the size?

Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

And can you please reclairfy the problem statement, i understand most if not all of it, but the way you described it slightly confused me, I'm sorry.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
File size is 8 gb and mozbackup gives file for complete restore of thunderbird. Old copy is good from xp and can use
it to restore to Win7 machine. but want to save everything done on win 7 thunderbird for last few months so made a new mozbackup on win 7 thunderbird which I would like to use to migrate to win xp machine. I have not been ble to copy the mozbackup from the win 7 machine and cannot find it on win 7 computer unless run mozbackup and then it
shows up about 8 gb in size, the win xp backup file is also approx 8gb and can find and copy, cannot copy the win 7 backup file to anything.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I expect you are familiar with Mozilla Thunderbird otherwise be hard to resolve.
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

I'm semi familiar with it, was more looking at the over all problem.

Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

I'll opt out for someone else who may be more failure with Thunderbird, but i have a plausible suggestion for the momment

Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

Just for the sake of trouble shooting, i would make sure thunderbird is not running, and see if you can copy that win 7 back up, even onto the same file system. It sounds like it's in use.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can do that, in one minute
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Used task manager - thunderbird not in use anywhere on this computer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please find me a technician who is knowledgeable with Mozilla Thunderbird.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

I am very familiar with thunderbird, and I would prefer if we didnt use mozy backup. ( As im used to backing u p and moving folders manually and Im familiar with all the caveats and pitfalls of doing so )

Im about to take my dinner break. But I hope that when you have time you will send a reply so that we can connect, and work through this issue.

Thank you,

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know when you are back in the office , but if you have time tomorrow I will contact you at your convenience. David
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what I really need is away to copy the .pcv file which is a backup of what is currently on my Window 7 thunderbird to
a flash drive so I can move it to my window xp computer. I cannot find the pcv file except if I try to do a restore on my win 7 system it shows up on the C drive when I browse for it. I cannot move it anywhere. I have no problem on the xp system finding pcv file.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
IT is 8:00 am Dec 30th 2015 here and I am available until 3:00 pm e s t . I will check my email every 1/2 hour for response. Thanks David- If you are not available today , Dustin, let me know.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Good morning David.

You keep mentioning the .pcv file. A Pcv file is not a part of thunderbirds normal file structure. Im not familiar with Mozy backup.. Ive never needed it. Ive been using thunderbird so long I can manually backup the entire profile in about 5 seconds. I picked up this question as you asked for a thunderbird expert. But it sounds like you want a Mozy backup expert instead.

If you want to work with Mozy backup and search for its missing files. It may be best if I opt out.

However, if you would like to work within thunderbird, I can help.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't care how it is backed up. The pcv is everything. Just one file. But if you know a way to move all my Thunderbird off of my Window 7 system to my XP computer that is fine. I have flash drives and external drives to help facilitate that and that is ok with me. I can easily restore the good pcv file to my Window & system , all I need is away to take what currently is on my window 7 system and move it to my Window xp computer. I know when it was running the upgrade to my Thunderbird on my Window 7 it corropted everything. I deleted most of the Thunderbird and I believe the window 7 on thunderbird is good now waiting for you expertise to move it to my window xp system.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Understood.. And I will be working for t he next 8 hours.

It may be best for me to connect remotely to the windows 7 machine. So I can verify the thunderbird profile folder is intact, and prep it for the move to the windows xp computer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dustin,
I agree with your original statement, you are not familiar with MozBackup and I want to stay with .pcv file so you should
opt out . I am really not interested in moving many files etc. I want to stay with the simple one file restore. Thank you.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

The profile is one folder.

Either way though, If your dead set on doing something one way there is no way I can assist you.

I am opting out. Best of luck, and happy new years~

D.S

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
n/a So far no expert familiar with what I needed done. Opted out and canceled.