Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Support Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

I have a newish computer (about a year old) it is very well

Customer Question

Hi I have a newish computer (about a year old) it is very well configured machine used in a home based business with Windows 7 running Outlook 13 (version 15.0.4771.1004); whenever Outlook loses focus for more than a minute or two Outlook goes into "Not Responding" mode and I have to shut it down and restart it. This issue started about 6 weeks ago and I have tried many options to resolve it, all to no avail. Most recently I have tried the "OFFCat" tool but am still experiencing the same problem.
Your advice would be much appreciated.
Category: Email
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Hi Maurice, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

I am very sorry about your issues. How many email accounts do you have in your Outlook 2013?

Have you checked the actual size of the PST file that your Outlook 2013 is using?

Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HI JessI have 4 email accountsTotal size of the PST file is approx 2 GBMaurice
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Hi Maurice,

Thank you for writing back with that information. Can you please check what types of emails are these 4 accounts? Are they POP, IMAP or MAPI?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is one POP, the rest are IMAPLast night i started Outlook in safe mode and somewhere over night it went into Not Responding mode and this morning I had to shut it down and restart.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for writing back with that information. First, this can happen specially if you are only using 1 PST file for all your email accounts since it can be bloated and very prone to being corrupted.

At this point, please try to BACKUP your Outlook PST file for safekeeping.

Then please try to turn off or disable all plugins in your Outlook. This can be done by going to File => Options => Add-Ins and then click the GO button. Uncheck all plugins to temporarily disable them, then test.

Keep me posted with your results so that I can assist you further.

Best regards,

Jess