Email

Need Help With Email? Ask Your Email Questions Online

Email

I have Windows 10 and Office Professional 2010. All was

Customer Question
I have Windows 10 and...
I have Windows 10 and Office Professional 2010. All was working just fine with Office for several years and the Windows 10 for months. I have numerous email accounts that I work in Outlook. My primary account is a Google business account. I have a google private account. I have a very old Hotmail account. I have a second business outlook account. My Calendar and Contacts are all tied to my Google business account. I noticed last Friday that when I updated my Hotmail was not updating. I was not sure why. Did several send and receives and several reboots of Outlook and then of my system. Could not figure it out. I went on working in my Google Business account, as usual, in Outlook. Then some of my emails stopped going. I got this error message: The operation failed. The messaging interfaces have returned an unknown error. If the problem persists, restart Outlook. Cannot resolve recipient. After much frustration, and the Hotmail seeming to be an issue. I most likely make a fatal error. I knew that @Outlook.com was taking over @Hotmail.com so I set up the same account in Outlook. So then my contacts list is no longer my default and I've tried and tired to get it moved, but cannot. I cannot update contact info in my Google Business Contacts in Outlook. I cannot select it from the TO on email. I've set it to be the default and then I can see it on the drop down when you to TO but it does not stay. I'm working a very busy deadline and just really need my Google Business Contacts to once again be the default and this error sending email to stop. HELP.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Email
11/29/2015
Email technician: Christopher Bessler, Computer Engineer replied 1 year ago
Christopher Bessler
Christopher Bessler, Computer Engineer

I am not certain that I fully understand your issue. I believe you need to have all of your contacts in your Google Business account. If you have multiple inboxes setup in Oultook and you can see those contacts in any of them, then Outlook will just let you click and drag. Are you able to login to your hotmail account from the login.live.com website directly? This is to see if your hotmail account still exists. Let me know...

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The Hotmail account is there. The contacts are in the Google account but Outlook will not allow me to set that Contact list as the default. So when I go to TO feature of settings up an email I cannot get to my list. Then if I type the email name in the TO many times I get the error I mentioned.It has really complicated my ability to work and I'm on some serious deadlines. A resolution to the problem is seriously needed :)Tx.
Deborah.

Since you have multiple accounts, if you add the 'FROM' field to your emails are you THEN able to change the contacts? Also, is there a reason you do not want to have all your contacts across all of your contact lists?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The FROM is on my emails. I want and have one Contact list. When you do a TO search you get a drop down list and my Contacts are not on that list. When I go to Accounts and Account settings and I move my Google Business email and Contact to be the default then I go to mail and TO I can get that account on the list. However, it will not stay as the default so I have to select it each time. When I close Outlook and reopen I have to go through the entire process again.

Do you have the Google Business ACCOUNT set as the default in the accounts list?

I am also going to offer up a remote connection as an additional service here.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I set the Google account as the default in the accounts setting. I've explained what happens to the Contacts. I'm confused by the cost of having a connection with you. Is this in addition to the $53.00 I paid for a solution?

There are some things that only really work when it comes to support if I can see it in front of me.

This is one of those things. I mean, you can try this:

1. Open the Address Book by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+B or via;
    • Outlook 2007 and previous
      Tools-> Address Book…
    • Outlook 2010, Outlook 2013 and Outlook 2016
      Use the Address Book icon on the right side of the Home tab in the Ribbon.
  2. In the Address Book dialog choose Tools-> Options…
  3. Use the dropdown list for “When opening the address book, show this address list first” to set your preferred address list.
    In Outlook 2007 and previous, this option is called “Show this address list first”.
  4. Press OK.
  5. Close the Address Book dialog.

If that does not work, I will either have to opt out or remote connect. Let me know...

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have Outlook 2010. I am not sure what you want me to click on. Use the Address Book icon on the right side of the Home tab in the Ribbon. I'm on the home page in Outlook mail and I do not see an icon for Address Book. I went to the Contacts Home ribbon and I see the words Address Book to the far right but no Tools > Options…
I would like to try this now if you can clarify for me. I have two meetings this afternoon and need to get ready for them. If I try this and it does not work, we can talk about your new 'offer'. Tx.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you. ***** are not on the list. I have to go to a meeting now. If you can tell me how to get it on that list helpful. I'll work on it again when I return from my meeting and get back to you.

Have the Google Contacts ever been synced to your local Outlook? What I would suggest is to copy them into a contact list, or to consolidate them, and select that list from the dialogue box. Please let me know if this is not acceptable.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
As I mentioned in the first request. My Google Contacts have worked with Outlook 2010 for years. It was all fine. No problems at all. Then just over a week ago BIG PROBLEM. I feel it is due to the @Outlook.com taking over the @Hotmail.com. It now appears that @Outlook.com sets itself as the default and I can't change that. I change it and it goes back when I restart Outlook. I'm not sure why this has happened but I think that is the cause. I'm going to try some more things this evening and see if I can get there but I would say that your assistance has not provided a solution, so I assume that you would not charge the full amount. As I understood the agreement I only paid that if we solved the problem. Thank you.

I understand. No money will transfer to me in this transaction. I would suggest, through, that you may want to upgrade to at least Outlook 2013, as that may be contributing to the issue.

Christopher Bessler
Christopher Bessler
Christopher Bessler, Computer Engineer