Christopher Bessler
Christopher Bessler, Computer Engineer
Experience:  21 years troubleshooting PC/Server/Hardware/Printer and Network
21913621

My [email protected] email address has stopped working - it comes back

Customer Question

My [email protected] email address has stopped working - it comes back as delivery failed and does not go to my inbox
Category: Email
Expert:  Kamil Anwar replied 1 year ago.

Who is the e-mail with? And can you paste the complete failure message?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi it is with gmail. The failure message reads:Delivery status notification (failure)
Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently***@******.***
Technical details of the permenant failure: DNS error. Address resolution of phoenix-autogates.co.uk failed. Domain name not foundIt was working fine before so am confused. Can you help please?

You need to upgrade the DNS to the correct settings provided by the registrar/hosting provider.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't understand what that means - can you explain please in lay terms what I need to do? Also why has this suddenly happened it was all working just fine and then suddenly stopped...thanks.

It appears that the DNS is correctly pointed to wix. Since it was working fine before it could be a temporary DNS glitch. I suggest waiting a few hours and re-trying. If it then wont work, then you can diagnose the DNS.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It hasn't been working for a few days so it is def not a glitch....

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
WWhat does diagnose the dns mean?

It means, we will troubleshoot why it is not working , and why the name is ***** ***** resolved.

BUT right now it all looks fine, http://intodns.com/phoenix-autogates.co.uk so i suggest waiting a few hours.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's been 2 days already not working.....I don't think 2 more hours will make any difference to be honest!

May i connect with you remotely then to troubleshoot this directly? Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sure

I sent request for remote service. Please accept it then follow steps here to connect with me.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I didn't realise it was a payable service and don't have the funds for this. Also I can't see the value of you remotely accessing an email account when I can access it anyway. Can I assume that you are unable to resolve this issue?

I am not going to access your email account. I'll check your DNS settings and troubleshoot it. This is a paid service, you've asked for assistance on JustAnswer. If you want to request a refund i can do that now or if you want to wait for another expert who may assist without additional charges then i can opt out and open the question to other experts. Regarding being to solve it or not, if it's not resolved you will still be able to request refund. There are several settings that needs to be checked, your DNS is pointed to wix, your e-mail is pointed to 1and1.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have I already been charged then?

I beleive so. Since i am a tech only i can only request refund but if you'd like to discuss anything with the amount/trial etc.. then you will need to speak to JustAnswer on***@******.***.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I didn't authorise the payment so yes please issue a refund. I'd like to release this question open to another technician too please - can you action that also?

If i request a refund it will be closed.

If i opt out it will then be open the other experts. I will opt out and open the question to other experts, if you need a refund at any time, please email***@******.*** or let the other expert who opts in know.

Expert:  Christopher Bessler replied 1 year ago.

I would like to attempt to assist you in this. I will need a little more information.

I understand that you are using a GMAIL account. Can you tell me exactly how you are accessing it? Are you going through a web browser? Or are you using a client like Outlook or Windows Mail?

The DNS error you are receiving is not anything that has to do with your local computer.

When was the last time that you were able to access email successfully?

What happens when you try to login right now?

Can you send and not receive? Receive and not send? Or do neither?

Let me know...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2 days ago it was working just fine, I access the emails direct through gmail. The error message is across all forms - via phone or laptop. I can access my gmail account as normal however it had been configured so that when people sent an email to [email protected] it would come through to my just normal***@******.*** so it sounded more professional...Does that help?

It does help, but I still need some more information.

Are you able to see your old emails?

When you see the error, does it come up in a window? Or is it part of a message? Does GMail let you go through the motions of sending an email, and then you get a bounceback?

A screen shot would help.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The only issue is when someone emails***@******.*** they then get the error message as shown above in this conversation and the message does not get delivered. The actual gmail account is***@******.*** - anyone sending direct to that address there is no issue with at all. It was set up so that all [email protected] emails arrived at the phoenixautogatesuk email address. Also when email were sent it used to show from [email protected] and now has defaulted to***@******.***We haven't made any changes to any settings so are very confused!

OK I am going to try sending a couple of emails from here after creating a new, test account. As long as you are OK with this troubleshooting path, I will proceed and let you know my findings. Please give me a little time to try to sort this out. At the very least I should be able to come up with a root cause.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Brilliant thanks so much. Would it be helpful to have access to the email account itself too?

Not yet. And I'd rather not talk about usernames and passwords in this forum. Give me a little time...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No worries. Look forward to hearing from you.

OK, so I have tried several things in order to pin this down. The address***@******.***

was rejected by the server for the recipient domain phoenix-autogates.co.uk by aspmx.l.google.com. [2607:f8b0:4001:c01::1a].

The error that the other server returned was:
550-5.1.1 The email account that you tried to reach does not exist.

So. According to your domain, that account does not exist. This message can also be generated if the account is locked out or disabled.

Are you the administrator for this domain? If not, this information should be sent to them to check on the validity of the address and its current state.

Where are you trying to use this address? Is it an automatic email generated off a website? If so, who is the website admin?

Let me know...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The website is regidtered with wix if that helps?

It might. Is the domain: phoenix-autogates.co.uk managed by Wix?

If it is, are they the ones who manage your email addresses also? Or is there someone within your organization who manages them?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had set up something direct on gmail to send and recieve as [email protected] to the original email address but it longer seems to be working. I have just purchased a mailbox with wix however I can't seem to configure that either to get an [email protected] email is phoenixgatesuk and gmail dot comI would like you to access the email account and also the wix account please to resolve..

OK, I believe I can do this. So, you have setup some kind of auto-forward on GMAIL so when someone sent an email to the phoenixgatesuk it would forward to [email protected]? And then when someone sen t something to [email protected] it was sent to the phoenixgatesuk address? If that is the case, then the setup is pretty simple. But both email addresses still need to exist. And right now the [email protected] address does not exist.

If I am misunderstanding this, the next step would be a phone conversation. I will offer that additional service if you like. Please let me know.