Matt, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  BSc (Hons) Software Engineering, 8+ years experience as IT Support
15320265

Me.com account is deleting all inbox older than 2 days...

Customer Question

me.com account is deleting all inbox older than 2 days... Just can't figure out why... Help!
Category: Email
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hi, and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting with your question.

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

How many computer and devices do you have this email account setup on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you need any further info to assist with answers?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
iPad, iPhone, 2 iMacs... think that's it
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I think the issue lies in either of the 2 iMac devices. Do you have access to the devices now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sure do. btw can Skype message if it's faster skypename is ***** ***** won't call you coz I know that's extra otherwise can persist with email exchange
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Ok, let's continue with email exchange. Are you only able to see emails dated back to the last 2 days, and do the deleted emails disappear from your iMacs as well?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Ok, now please delete the email account from the iphone, ipad and the 2 iMacs. Let me know if you need the step by step directions to delete the account for each device.

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Let me know once done and I'll give you the steps to add them back again, but using an alternative method.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This will delete my calendars... you sure?! This is a super big deal if I lose stuff
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Are you able to see you Calendar when you login to your account at www.icloud.com using your Mac? If you can, there shouldn't be any issue with your calendar.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All gone. Feeling naked
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Ok, now, please follow the steps in the link below to setup your iCloud email account on your Mac:

http://www.apple.com/in/icloud/setup/mac.html

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The email accounts that is from all devices and computers. Calendar was on iCloud
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

The instructions for iphones and ipads can be found for the link below:

http://www.apple.com/in/icloud/setup/ios.html

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Once you enable iCloud, you need to sign in to your iCloud account and enable all services such as email, calendar, etc. that you require.

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Let me know how it goes.

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

If you need more help, please reply back using the Reply box below. I'd greatly appreciate it if you could take a moment to rate my service at the top.

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still no joy... nothing going back any further than yesterday at 6:18pm
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

That means that the emails have already been removed from the server. But, any fresh emails from now on shouldn't be removed. I'll suggest you to wait for 2 days to verify.

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Please keep me posted.

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

I assume you have set up the email account now as an iCloud according to the above instructions in the links provided, instead of as a POP account

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just logged into iCloud according to the instructions but am fully gutted if I still have no email history?! Any ideas??
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Just to clarify, are you seeing no emails at all, or just not the emails from the past 2 days?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yep nothing earlier than last night same as before
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

If the emails don't shown up on iCloud even now, and they are not even present in the Trash folder, it is very possible that they are gone for good. This can happen if your email account was compromised in some way earlier, or the emails were downloaded onto another device as a POP account, which then deleted the past emails from the server each time it was accessed from that specific device itself. To prevent this for happening again, I would advise you to change your iCloud account password, and then send yourself a couple of test emails. Continue to monitor your email account for the next couple of days, and see if this issue re-occurs.

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Please follow the steps in the link below to change your iCloud password:

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH2617?locale=en_US

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

If you have any further questions for now, please let me know. Otherwise, a positive rating at the top, would be much appreciated. Your question will still remain open after rating, and you will be able to get back to me anytime later on through your emails received from JustAnswer. Thank you.

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just letting you know that it seems to have been the pop3 account on one of the computers that my wife now uses... she was deleting them and this was syncing and hence I was losing them too. I think if I had known this before I deleted the account from her computer I would have been able to save them?!
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

I see. That explains it. Yes, the pop3 server was automatically deleting all the emails as they came in on that concerned computer. You would have been to save the emails if you had known this before, and removed that account from her computer.

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Would you please take a moment to rate my answer above and click Submit?

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

To prevent this issue from ever recurring again, please don't set up the accounts as pop accounts, but instead set them up directly using iCloud.