Chris R.
Chris R., Computer Tech
Experience:  BSBA CIS, A+ Certified
70521640

I have forgotten my Microsoft password. directions were to

Customer Question

I have forgotten my Microsoft password. directions were to go to account.live.com/password/reset. OK, what must I do to be able to use MY computer? I am using my wifes.
Category: Email
Expert:  Chris R. replied 2 years ago.

Hello my name is***** and I would be happy to assist you.

Expert:  Chris R. replied 2 years ago.

Where in the password ***** process are you getting stuck?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
After I enter what I belived to be my password ***** get a message that it is incorrect
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Chris R. replied 2 years ago.

I personally do not provide phone support, although some other experts might. I provide assistance online only.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
do you know how to reset the pass word on microsoft so I can use my computer?
Expert:  Chris R. replied 2 years ago.

Yes. I asked where you were getting stuck earlier. I assume you are using Windows 8 or 10 and can't sign into your computer because you are using a Microsoft account. Where in the reset procedure are you having trouble?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am stuck immediately after pressing enter for what I believed to be my password. I get a notice to contact pass word reset.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am using 10. In fact, 10 was yust downloaded Thursday.
Expert:  Chris R. replied 2 years ago.

Ok. You have to do that from the Microsoft website.

Expert:  Chris R. replied 2 years ago.

You can't change it from Windows 10 directly.

Expert:  Chris R. replied 2 years ago.
Expert:  Chris R. replied 2 years ago.

Also, so you are aware you don't really need to use a Microsoft account on Windows 10. You can choose just to use a local account like all the version from Windows 7 and earlier. The Microsoft account just links all your Microsoft services together and makes it so you don't need to sign multiple times to use email, One Drive, Microsoft Office etc.

Expert:  Chris R. replied 2 years ago.

The benefit of this type of logon system is you can access the Microsoft page from another computer and reset your password ***** you forget it. If it were a local account you risk being permanently locked out of your account unless you do some advanced procedures.

Expert:  Chris R. replied 2 years ago.

I haven't heard from you in a while. Have you tried resetting the password ***** that link yet?