Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Support Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

Serious issues with Mozilla Thunderbird.Multiple problemsCannot

Customer Question

Serious issues with Mozilla Thunderbird.
Multiple problems
Cannot "reset" master password
Cannot receive/send mail
Found suspicious folder doing a start run using info on http://kb.mozillazine.org/Command_line_arguments
Was a file folder named Panther
This is way above my knowledge level
Category: Email
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Welcome, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you today!
Im very familiar with Mozilla / Thunderbird mail. If youd like I can send you an offer for our screen sharing additional service, where I can connect to your windows 8 computer from here and resolve the issue directly, on screen
Would you like to try that, or do you prefer written support?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Onscreen

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I tried mozilla's "reset" option a couple of times to remove the master password ***** it doesn't work. It still won't let me input.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello?..... ???

Written support would be fine

Expert:  A. Stevens replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I am A. Stevens here to help with your question!So could you let me know what happens when you attempt the reset option?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

That scrip does it's thing and when I go back into Tools/options/password ***** start from scratch it is still requiring the master password... which is not working. SO... I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place and cannot use that email account at all. In fact now when I try to open it it says that account is already running.... which it is not. Also got a screen that my profile couldn't be found either missing or inaccessible.

Thanks for that information. Are you connected to your email account using IMAP or POP3 protocol?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Well... basically it is not currently connected...other than on the Charter Email lsite. Was trying to set up with IMAP... on a desktop

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am not getting ANY email on Charter OR on Thunderbird unless it's something I send from another account OR.... the Charter reps have sent to me. Thinking perhaps my account for that login may have been compromised.

So let's try this, go to the Charter webmail login: https://www.charter.net/login/?target=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.charter.net%2Femail%2FSee if you can login here with your credentials. If you cannot, then yes you would be correct about the credentials being compromised.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK.. logged in... no new emails. Nothing has come through. I have subscriptions to some news sites that I get daily... Nothing for days. I have been in touch with CHARTER about this Several times and have they have yet to solve the problem.

I recently was switched over to Charter Spectrum and that email name was brought over but it's NOT working.... not getting my emails. Why I switched to using a different email account.. for now.

ALL the problems began when I started using a master password ***** was moved to the Charter Spectrum site. I also tried using the older site at charter.net and that only brings me to Spectrum. It's a screwed up MESS.

OK so you were able to login? That's good. So could we try to delete the account on Thunderbird and then reconfigure it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Delete it on Charter and start all over.

BUT.... I don't want to lose my offline folder where I save all my male and my thunderbird profile is corrupt. Is there a way around it?

I tried copying and saving the sub folders of mail from that folder but it didn't work. That's all that's stopping me from deleting that account and beginning again..... and I don't want to lose that specific email address.

I understand, so we would need to find a way to export that data before removing the account. Would you be interested in additional services for a remote screen sharing session so I can try to export the data, and then recreate the account for you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

That's what I expected I would have to do

1. But I don't want to lose all of my saved emails that I stored offline in the blue folder (can't remember what that folder is called).

2. Have to resolve eliminating the master password ***** through Thunderbird.... which I can't even open Thunderbird any longer. Just tried.

So the offline folder is typically called "Archive"
What happens when you try to open thunderbird now?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Won't open. I'm looking at Mozilla site right now to see if there's a fix for that

OK please let me know when you get it running again and we can try a few things
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

NO...not archived.... just remembered. It's called "Local Folder"

OK I see
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I found my Local Folder using %APPDATA%.....> thanks to mozilla help screens.

I changed properties to unhidden.
I was able to copy it to a thumb drive.
Checked properties on the thumb drive and appears all folders & files are there.

• ? Don't know if it requires TBird to open the files... > .pst files????

• ? ---> IF...... I can open those files in a different application I'm going to get rid of Thunderbird altogether.

Thunderbird has always has been a problematic email client....
full of issues, crashes a lot. Keeps you guys in business : )

You were able to copy as a PST file? If so I would recommend using MS outlook...it can open your PST file and is a much better client then mozilla thunderbird.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'll keep this thread open and try that..ms outlook.

Will let you know how it all turns out.

OK no problem, please do let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thunderbird File format is not pst after all. Apparently Thunderbird uses a proprietary format for their email. I tried un-installing and re-installing Thunderbird but unable to do even that. Something is preventing it.

I didn't think so...ok so are you able to open thunderbird right now?
Would you be interested in additional services for a remote screen sharing session so that I can try to get in to Thunderbird and export the data for you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, uninstalled it but there are lingering files that are preventing me from re-installing it. I never do remote any more. Am very gun-shy about doing so. I STILL think I have issues re: hacking because someone tried to hack my gmail this afternoon. Took a while but got that resolved.

I see...ok well you mentioned you are still able to login to charter online correct?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes but haven't been getting any mail at all from that address since June 25th and have made at least 5 calls and still not resolved.

Calls to Charter?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yup

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes..........! Ridiculous

I understand. So a couple things...I think you would need to get that issue resolved with Charter. Once you are able to get that resolved you should be able to re download all of your email to a new client from their servers.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Not if I cannot re-install Thunderbird...! That's part of the problem.

But is all of your mail still also on Charter servers ? or did you set it to delete on download to thunderbird?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

As I told you before... All my mail goes to a "Local Folder" on my macine (read back a ways).

Right but even though it downloaded to the local folder it doesn't necessarily mean it was deleted from the servers
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Suppose you're right.... for security purposes they probably have to. Going to call them again and demand to speak to security.

Ok please update me when you get that resolved