Email

Need help with email? Ask your email questions online

I am trying to transfer my Google Docs/Google Drive

Customer Question
Hello, I am trying to...
Hello, I am trying to transfer my Google Docs/Google Drive from one account to a new one. How do I do that? So far, I was able to download Drive and download all docs I created. However, whenever I open one that I've "downloaded" to my desktop, it takes
me back to the original email account. That account is closing soon so I have to transfer everything. Also, how do I download all google docs "shared with me" and then how do I upload them to the new account? Thanks!
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Email
6/11/2015
Email technician: IT Miro, Computer Scientist replied 3 years ago
IT Miro, Computer Scientist

Hello! I am IT Miro and I will assist you on this question.

First, you will need to share content (folder) on the first Google Drive account to be available on the second account. To do the actual file transfer, use the Google Drive app which you can download on this link:
https://www.google.com/drive/download
For detailed instructions on how to share a folder between two Google accounts, you can watch this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88X1JNKFQVA
Since you have two Google accounts, you will need to sign in / sign out multiple times to complete this task, so make sure to click on Sign out and not just close the window since you will still be signed in.
Let me know if you require further assistance.
Thank you. Hello. I followed the video but got stuck on Step 5. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88X1JNKFQVA - at 1:00. How do I do that? I have already downloaded the google drive from a few months ago. Do I do a different one? Pretty confused there. Thanks.
Are you referring to sharing a folder or accessing your Google Drive account with the Google Drive app?
I put all of my docs and folders into one folder from the old account. Then shared that folder with my new account. Then in the new account, moved the folder from shared w me to my docs. I couldn't figure out how to copy the whole folder. So I downloaded it. Then moved the whole zip file into Google Drive on my desk top. I wonder if that was the right thing to do. What I still don't have is access to the electronic version of that folder as owned by my new account. How do I do that? I never a saw a screen like the screenshot in step 5 of the video. I may be making this more complicated than it is because it's late at night!
How about this:
Use the Google Drive app and sign in to your old Google account (containing the files to be downloaded). Download everything that you need and store the files to your computer.
Sign out of the old Google account and sign in to your new Google account using Google Drive app. Go to the folder on your computer containing downloaded files and drag them to the Google Drive app in order to upload them to your new account.
Hi again!
I am following up with you to see if you require further assistance. If you do, let me know.
If you don't require further assistance, please take a moment to rate my help to you using the rating box located in the upper right corner of the page (box with stars).
Thanks,