Email

Need help with email? Ask your email questions online

My windows 7 laptop won't let me delete emails . When flicking…

Customer Question
Hi my windows 7 laptop...
Hi my windows 7 laptop won't let me delete emails . When flicking through emails I have to click on an error has occurred to open each one. I use windows live 2011 . Windows live mail error I'd.0x800c0160 protocol pop3 port 110 secure (DSL)no
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Email
6/5/2015
Email technician: Bryan, Computer Support Specialist replied 3 years ago
Bryan, Computer Support Specialist

Hi, and thank you for asking your question.

When did you first start having this issue with Windows Live Mail?

May I set up a quick remote session, which will allow me to connect directly to your screen and assist you with this issue?

Keep me posted.

Hi this will be a security breach
Please rest assured - our remote session is 100% secure (SSL-encrypted), and you will have full control of your system during the remote session. This will allow us to quickly pin down and resolve the issue you are having with Windows Live Mail.
If you are still uncomfortable with the same, no issues - just let me know and we will try and troubleshoot the issue on this page itself.
Keep me posted.
No remote control let's trouble shoot
Okay. Does this error come up when you try to delete ANY email at all? Also, what happens when you select an email and press SHIFT + DEL (on your keyboard) - are you able to delete it all right this way?
Keep me posted.
An unknown error has occurred every time and in anyway when deleting
Okay. Now, please use your cursor to drag and drop an email to the "Deleted Items" folder, and then right-click on "Deleted Items" and empty the folder itself.
Are you able to delete emails this way?
Keep me posted.
No
I'll open up your question to our other experts now. Thanks.
Email technician: Jason Jones, Computer Technician replied 3 years ago
Jason Jones, Computer Technician

If anyone wishes to ask Jason a question directly,
they can do so at the following page: www.JasonFixedit.com

My name is Jason. I look forward to helping you today.
I can see that you may need a little bit of extra help.
May I ask if you still need help with this problem? If so, may I start a screen sharing session on your computer and help you resolve the problem?
Thank you,
Jason
This will be a security breach
How do you wish to fix this?
I don't understand
I am asking how you wish for me to fix this problem, being that you are against the remote option.
You tell me
I have run out of ideas.
For this reason, I am opting out of the question and allowing another expert the chance to help.
The next expert will see all that is on this page, so there will be no need to repeat anything.
When another expert picks this up, you will be notified by email.
Thank you for your patience.
- Jason
I found you input rather strange .
Email technician: IT Miro, Computer Scientist replied 3 years ago
IT Miro, Computer Scientist

Hello! I am IT Miro.

If you still require assistance with this issue, please let me know if you have only 1 e-mail account in Windows Live Mail or several.

Thanks,
Hi just the one
Since I am not sure what the cause of the problem is, I suggest repairing the Windows Live Mail installation.

Here are the instructions:

1. Completely exit Windows Live Mail

2. Click the Windows Start button and then Control Panel. There click on Uninstall a program (or on Programs and Features)

3. It will open a list containing all installed programs on your computer. Locate Windows Live Essentials, right-click it and select Uninstall/Change

4. Select Repair all Windows Live programs

5. When done, restart your computer

6. When the computer restarts, start Windows Live Mail

Let me know the results.
Will this delete all my emails
No, it won't delete your e-mails.
I don't have them backed up with my internet provider
Following the instructions I suggested won't have any affect to the actual e-mails. It is only supposed to fix errors with Windows Live Mail program.

Please follow them and let me know if it fixed the problem.
Is hasn't worked
Any other ideas ?
Hi again!

I did some research and the error message you see (0x800c0160) indicates a problem with the current e-mail account settings. To solve the problem, you will need to remove the current e-mail account and then re-add it.

Removing the e-mail account will also remove all e-mails associated with that e-mail account, so to make sure you don't lose them, you can create a backup which you can import after re-adding the account.

Here are the instructions:

1. Start Windows Live Mail

2. Click on the main Windows Live Mail button (upper left corner blue button) and select Export email > Email messages

3. Under "Select Program" window, choose Microsoft Windows Live Mail and click Next

4. Now select a folder where you want to export your e-mails (create a new folder on your computer and then choose that folder) and click Next

5. You will see all folders you can export. You can select "All folders" or "Selected folders". Once you click Next, process of exporting your e-mails will begin. Wait a while until the process finishes exporting

6. When done, you need to remove your e-mail account. To do that, right-click on your e-mail account name (e-mail address) that you see on the left pane and there select Remove account. Confirm by clicking Yes

7. Once the account has been removed, exit Windows Live Mail

8. Wait for about 30 seconds and then re-start Windows Live Mail

9. Now you can re-add the same e-mail account. To do that, click on the Accounts tab and then click the Email button

10. There type your e-mail address, password and display name. After that, click Next and your account will be added

11. Wait until Windows Live Mail re-downloads your e-mail from the e-mail server. This could take several minutes

12. After that, check if you can send and delete e-mails as before.

If everything is working properly, you can import e-mails from the backup you created. To do that, click on the main Windows Live Mail button (upper left corner blue button) and select Import messages. Select Windows Live Mail and click Next. Click Browse... and point to a folder containing exported e-mails, and click Next. Select which folders to import or just leave to "All folders" to import all e-mail folders, and click Next. Wait until the import process is over. When done, you can find the imported e-mails under Storage folders > Imported Folder.

I hope this solves the problem you are experiencing. If you are unable to follow these instructions, I could remotely connect to your computer and apply them for you.

Regards,
It won't let me remove account I clicked yes and nothing has happened . I kept trying and nothing
Hi!

In case you are unable to remove the account, please do the following:

1. Backup (export) e-mails the way I described

2. Exit Windows Live Mail

3. Press the Windows Start button and type or copy&paste this command into the search box:
%USERPROFILE%\AppData

and press Enter

4. A new folder will open. There open the Local folder, and then the Microsoft folder

5. In the "Microsoft" folder, locate a folder named Windows Live Mail. You need to rename that folder to something else, for example to Windows Live Mail-old. In case you are unable to rename it, please restart your computer and try again

6. After you have renamed that folder, start Windows Live Mail

7. Windows Live Mail will start without any e-mail accounts added so it will be the same as you removed the account in the first place. You can now re-add the account the way I described

8. After re-adding the account, you can import the e-mails you have exported

Now everything should be working.
It can't be renamed as the folder is open in another programme
OK, please restart your computer and don't start Windows Live Mail, but just go to that folder and rename it.
Hi it will not let me send e mails
Can you receive e-mails?
No
Do you use a GMail account or some other e-mail account?
I use karoo
OK. You will need to manually type server settings for Karoo e-mail.

First, remove the Karoo account you have added since it contains the wrong server settings (reason why you cannot send and receive e-mails) and then re-add it using this video instructions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OqOstDy_x8

After that, you should be able to both send and receive e-mails.
Hi I am not sure about this . It used to work fine until recently when it stopped letting me send and delete emails .i spoke to my karoo internet provider and they set up my email account again today .so it should be ok
Hi!

The video instructions show how to set up a Karoo e-mail account with Windows Live Mail properly, so there should not be a problem there; however, if the problem was with your e-mail account, such as incorrect password, then Karoo support could help you with it.

Let me know if you are now able to successfully send, receive and delete e-mails using Windows Live Mail.
Hi I did as the video said when I spoke to my ISP but because you said to do it I have deleted that account in order to follow the video . I can't remember the password ***** I will have to wait to speak to my ISP again .how ever last time it still dint work
Hi!

Windows Live Mail is just an e-mail program that supports all kind of e-mail accounts, including Karoo e-mail account. You just need to enter the correct server settings and, of course, correct password.

Another way of accessing your e-mail account would be to use a web browser by going to this address:

https://webmail.heytoday.co.uk

In case you forgotten the password, you can find the instructions on how to reset it there, either by yourself (by clicking on the "retrieve them online" link) or by contacting the Karoo support (by clicking on the "contact us via LiveChat" link).
Hi did as instructed but it won't send or recieve emails
Hi!

Please check if you are able to access your Karoo e-mail account using a web browser by going to this link:

https://webmail.heytoday.co.uk

If yes, send a test e-mail there and let me know if it worked.
Hi that works as it should
Hi!

Please try to send or receive e-mails using Windows Live Mail. If it fails again, type the error message here.
When sending the message could not be sent a problem has occurred .please try later
Hi!

Please do the following to check the e-mail server information used in Windows Live Mail:

1. Start Windows Live Mail

2. Right-click on your e-mail account located on the left pane, and select Properties

3. Click on the Servers tab and check what it says for:

My incoming mail server is...
Incoming mail
Outgoing mail

4. Next, click on the Advanced tab and type the port numbers you see there for:

Outgoing mail
Incoming mail

5. Check if the This server requires a secure connection check-boxes are checked

Type that information here.
This is all fine as it has been done with my internet provider and confirmed to be ok twice
Hi all this has been checked by my internet provider and been confirmed to be right. Twice
To resolve this problem, I will need to remotely access your computer.

If you agree to that, let me know.
Hi again!

Do you still require assistance with this issue?

Let me know,