Email

Need help with email? Ask your email questions online

Need to reset thunderbird with old data - have data, but can…

Customer Question
need to reset thunderbird with...
need to reset thunderbird with old data - have data, but can seem to link it to the application. Have renamed the olddata wioth the new data set name etc.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Email
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/31/2015
Email technician: Jason Jones, Computer Technician replied 2 years ago
Jason Jones, Computer Technician

If anyone wishes to ask Jason a question directly,
they can do so at the following page: www.JasonFixedit.com

My name is Jason. I look forward to helping you today.
I can see that you may need a little bit of extra help.
May I ask if you still need help with this problem? If so, may I start a screen sharing session on your computer and help you resolve the problem?
Thank you,
Jason

What do you know about Thunderbird?

There maybe another file that has been corrupted.

perhaps the screen sharing - but want to make sure you have the right background

I know just about everything about Thunderbird.

hate opening up my machine is there something you ask me to try first, have a MS in MIS though am a dinosaur

I have remoted into computers several thousand times with no issues; however, I understand.
So far, all that I know is that you attempted to backup & restore the data from one computer to another. I don't know if the correct procedures were followed.
The instructions on how to do this manually are found on this page: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profiles-tb#w_backing-up-a-profile
Which method did you use?

Are you still there?

had a power spike that broke the link between the application and the application data.

Opened a new version of thunderbird and got a new profile name of 6chars.default copied the old data of some 16.5gig into that location and renamed the profile with the new profile name. reopened thundferbird ... this is same method I have used when migrating computers... However this time I am not seeing my email

Think there is another file that got corrupted.

So, there was a power spike that occurred while you were copying the data. If this is the case, simply re-copy the files over.

power spike occurred while downloading email - have copied over it a couple of times - no joy.

Have you tried any of the other listed methods on that page I sent earlier?

The one I described was one of the methods

Yes, it is.
I am asking if you have tried the other options on that page or not.
As it stands, there is no reason for it not to work, if the instructions were followed without any issues.
May I ask if you are still against the remote option or not?

Have not tried any of the other options

Please, try the other options.
I will be standing by.
Thank you,
Jason

file is copying takes several mins is 16.5 gig copy says 5-6 mins left

Looks like is the same thing though

Thank you for the update.

still copying had a back jump in time - now showing 10-12 mins - now have about three or 4 versions of the file

Why do you have 4 versions of the folder? When you copy it over, you are overwriting, correct?

well yes but am paranoid

In that case, I don't understand how you can have four copies of the same folder if you are overwriting.

no joy

I am sorry to hear that.
I understand and appreciate the fact that you do not wish for me to remote in and fix this for you. You are following the correct instructions, but they are not working.
For this reason, I am opting out of the question and allowing another expert the chance to help.
The next expert will see all that is on this page, so there will be no need to repeat anything.
When another expert picks this up, you will be notified by email.
Thank you for your patience.
- Jason

well if you think you can do the fix remotely ......

And no one has picked up

Had to get new email working so set up thunderbird but would like to bring my history into the program.

Email technician: A. Stevens, Computer Engineer replied 2 years ago
A. Stevens
A. Stevens, Computer Engineer
Hi - sorry about the delay...I can definitely help you to do it remote if you are still interested?

Last guy just went through the stuff on the web - not sure why I should be paying an extra $20.... My initial query described that I did the restore available on the web myself Not happy with their help

Sorry, I was just picking up the question based on the last request...additional services carry a fee. We don't have to go that route if you do not wish to. I was reading through the question and it seems that the previous tech had you on the correct route but not sure why it didn't resolve.

I had already done everything in the list - so can you help it seems there is a configuration issue in the file that is getting crosslinked and not picked up. Am guessing that the data at 16.5gig is still there. So can you help under the previous agreed amount?

What would you do?

Do you have another computer you could try the restore on?
What OS are you running? Win 7, 8, Mac OSX, etc.?

Win 7

Believe after the spike thunderbird may have set new configuration file without deleting the previous messages and it won't change out when you do the copy rename.

The data is there in the data structures but they have a relatively cmplex database that needs to be rematched.

Right...agreed...if you don't have another computer to try do you have another user profile available (or you can create one) - log in to that and try loading the dbase to see if it works...might be an issue with something in your profile not agreeing.
Sorry I have to step away unexpectedly and cannot continue right this minute...I will be able to return in about 3 hours if that is ok? Otherwise I can opt out and let someone else pick up the question if you need to resolve immediately.

As mentioned created a new working profile that links to the proper email accounts. Tried the rename process again - no joy.

What I think needs to happen is the database of thunderbird needs to be opened manually and new data files added-copied pasted/imported into it and then reindexed.

not sure but think thunderbird uses something called sqllite?

Have you attempted this yet? Steps to Rebuild the Global DatabaseQuit Thunderbird.Locate the global-messages-db.sqlite file in your Thunderbird Profile .Delete the global-messages-db.sqlite file.Start Thunderbird. The re-indexing process will start automatically. Depending on the number of messages, it might take some time for the indexing to complete. You can continue to use Thunderbird, but performance might be affected and search will return only partial results or even no results until the indexing is complete. The indexing progress can be monitored through the Tools | Activity Manager menu.

no will try - will move the file with the data in and use that one

thx will give that a try

No problem...let me know what results!

No joy - has the same aborted headers of email areas - was worried that it isn't picking up the correct headers ... this said in the bowls of the mail subdirectory down a bit are the correct names.

The application is't picking them up properly and hooking it all together

Sorry to hear that...let me try to find some alternate methods to rebuild and get back with you

ok

Relist: Incomplete answer.
He needs to go research - maybe he can find an answer but he certainly is not a skilled thunderbird in the bowels kind of expert, nor is he an expert in the underlying database program
Relist: Other.
Not answered.
Might give this a try: 1. Quit Thunderbird 2. Open the mail location in thunderbird: a)users\username\appdata\roaming\thunderbird\profiles\profilename.default\ in Windows b)Library/Thunderbird/profiles/profilename.default/ in Mac OSX 3. Backup the thunderbird profile folders to an alternate location so that it can be restored if anything goes wrong. 4. Now delete all .msf index files in profile folder 5. Restart thunderbird and see if it works.

Will try but suspect won't work.

When I copy in the data file it shows a data structure or data views inconsistent with the data....

There is a file called mailviews.dat and another virtualfolders.dat that I suspect hold the description of what was there ---- the email lists of two accounts and the trash, the lists of auto sort to my dogs mailing list records (emails come to one of the accounts and are auto filtered to this file) the periodic breakup (annually) of the main mail into annual files, the sent files etc that shows up incorrectly.

Am not sure how deleting the msf files will do so, but will try.

------------------------------

Tried it and as suspected the incorrect view of the data files appeared again. As a note there were something like 28 msf files in the parent level of the xxxxxx.default mail database. They did show the names of the file folders I am looking for - mail account1.msf mailaccount2.msf mailaccount12014.msf dogs.msf etc. However when opening thunderbird it showed only one mail account like when I just copy the entire file in and rename with the name of the file autogenerated during install, or the name created by thunderbird profile manager.

What I think needs to happen is something needs to go through the xxxxxx.default directory and find all the msf files or the datafiles associated with the msf files and recreate the datastructure of what was there and then recreate the dataviews when thunderbird starts -- what I am just guessing is contained in the mailviews.dat file or the virtualfolders.dat file.

Have deleted the oldbackup and am copying another backup into that location.

Any further ideas?

OK, please let me know if anything positive results from that
A. Stevens
A. Stevens
A. Stevens, Computer Engineer