Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Support Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

I can't sign into my new computer so I'm writing to you on

Customer Question

I can't sign into my new computer so I'm writing to you on my husband's computer.
Yesterday I tried to set up an account using my gmail email account instead of using an outlook or Hotmail email account. (it offered me that option) I didn't seem to work,
so I created a new outlook email and finished up using that email. Today, I try to log into my computer and the splash screen has my first and last name and also my gmail email and asks that I sign in. I try the gmail password ***** it says it's wrong and so won't let me in. So I try the password ***** my new outlook email with the same results. I try too many times and have to reset. Finally I try to get into both accounts using my phone and my husband's computer and can access both accounts from each device.
I still can't log into my computer, however. So I change my password ***** the gmail accounts. It works fine, except on my computer splash screen. I'm still locked out. Help Please!?
Category: Email
Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.
Hi. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist. Since this is a new computer would it be OK to do a factory reset to it's like-new condition? This would allow you the opportunity to start over and create a new password.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

When I say new I mean a week old... all security programs plus all other programs have been loaded, etc, so I'd rather not.

so no. I had to pay Bust Buy Geek squad to do it and leave it there for a day.

Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.

Here's the problem: Since your gmail email address is what's showing on screen Microsoft's log on servers have no way of knowing what you changed your gmail password ***** on Google's servers. There's also not a way to get in to the computer and change the gmail address you see onscreen to your new Oultook email address.
Another issue is that password ***** software will not work with passwords based on email addresses.

Doing a factory reset is something you can do right now at home. It may take an hour or two to finish but you needn't take the computer anywhere. It does mean that any software you installed after the purchase would need to be re-installed.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Does that mean that my Karperski security will remail even though I do a factory reset?

Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.
Doing a factory reset will re-install Windows and all the software that originally came with the computer. If Kaspersky came bundled with the computer when you bought it, then yes, it would still be there.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It did not come bundled. I have the disk but I asked them to install it at the store and, of course, paid them to do it correctly because I didn't want to have to do it.

Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.
Once the machine is back on the internet I can connect remotely and help you with that.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

How do I reset to factory if I can't get into the computer?

Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.

Start or restart the computer so that you are at the log in screen (but don't try to log in yet)
While holding down the Shift key click the Power icon in the lower right corner and select Restart.
Release the Shift key when you see "Please Wait"
From the Choose an Option screen select Troubleshoot
select Reset your PC

Please tell me the make and model number of your PC and let me know your options after selecting Reset your PC

What you will see next depends on the manufacturer.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Look, I'm not feeling good about this. I have a warrenty on this machine. I think I just need to take it back to Best Buy and hand it back to the Geek Squad. Sorry if I wasted your time, but I feel like you're just stearing me to the easiest way out for you. How can I get my $42 back that I paid through Pay Pal?

Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.
You can call JustAnswer customer service at(###) ###-####and request a refund.

Not only is what I'm suggesting the easiest way out, it's also the only way out.
BestBuy is going to do exactly the same thing I'm saying now.
God bless you if your warranty covers this situation.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Will you walk me through this right now?

Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.

Sure.

select Reset your PC

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Never mind. This is just taking too long.

Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry but there's no quick and easy way to do this. Computer companies are very serious about security these days.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm really not comfortable with this and it's taking too long. I've got a date. gotta go. I'm taking it in to the shop.

goodby.

Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.
Have a great evening. I'll be around tomorrow when you have more time.