Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Support Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

I have a yahoo email address. Recently I started receiving unsolicited emails and IMs fro

Customer Question

I have a yahoo email address. Recently I started receiving unsolicited emails and IMs from a person I did not know. The emails contained pornography. He also sent my BF the same emails.
1) How did he do it?
2) how did he get my BFs email?
3) how did he get an old yahoo email as well?
Category: Email
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.
I am very sorry about your Yahoo Mail issues. If you do not know the person who sent you the email, I believe that it is a spam and a leaked email. By spam, it is an unsolicited email and by "leaked email", it means the email was NOT sent to your exact email address.
To check this further, please check the said email message that you receive. Please check the email addresses WHERE the email was sent to. Is your yahoo email address listed there correctly?
Thank you.
Keep me posted.
Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He sent it to one active Yahoo email and another Yahoo email account that I was not using...in the address
header it listed both. In your opinion, how did he know both addresses?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How did he know my BFs address?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for writing back with that information.
Please confirm: Is the spam email only SENT to your 2 Yahoo emails? (one current and the other one, the old address)
Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, somehow he also found an inactive Yahoo account as well...so there were 3 in total
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Ok, so the email was sent to:
1. an inactive yahoo account
2. your current yahoo account
3. your BF's account?
Is that correct?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
1. an inactive yahoo account
2. TWO open yahoo accounts - one active, another I forgot to close
3. my BFs yahoo account
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for that confirmation.
There are several reasons why these happened, or these are the possible causes why this happened to you:
1. Your email addresses (including your BF's) were collected from unsecured website where you used to register for an account. For instance, Facebook needs an email address to create an account. But Facebook is SECURED and will protect any accounts'security. I am referring to unsecured websites that collects email information when signing up, but then the information were sold to spammers, or simply the site's security is weak that hackers were able to collect account information.
2. 1. Your email addresses (including your BF's) were collected from your various posts in sites like forums and online boards. Are you participating in online forums where you needed to post your email address? Spammers and hackers are collecting email address using bots or web scripts. When an email is collected, it is stored in the spammers database and will be used to send out emails (spamming) or will be spammed (will receive emails full of ads).
To avoid this in the future, please refrain from posting your email address anywhere. If it is really needed, break the email with spaces like youremail @ yahoo.com so that the web bots will not recognize it.
3. The last possible cause for this is that, your email account could have been hacked or compromised so the hacker got access to your contacts. We cannot tell if the current account is the one that is compromised, or if it is the OLD account. When the hacker have access to any of the accounts, he can then collect the email addresses there.
To ensure that the CURRENT account is not the hacked ones, please CHANGE your password ***** to kick out possible hackers who accessed the account without your permission.
I hope that helped.
Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated!
If you need further assistance, please do not rate me negatively with 1 or 2 faces. Instead, please reply to me so that I can help you further.
Thank you!
Best regards,
Jess