Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Support Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

We use gmail in our office with a 15GB limit per

Customer Question

Hello!
We use gmail in our office with a 15GB limit per account. I implemented Thunderbird from outlook express so we could better manage the storage in each account.
I'd like to set it so that Thunderbird archives ALL messages 1 year old or older to a local folder in Thunderbird so emails are still searchable in Thunderbird and remove the email from gmail so we don't hit the 15GB limit. I've tried the archive tool but I don't feel the settings are correct.
Some advice from you would be so appreciated!
Dave
Category: Email
Expert:  A. Stevens replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I am A. Stevens here to help with your question! Hi Dave - Could you let me know exactly what you have done with the archive tool and why you feel the settings are not correct? Are you still seeing emails that are older then 1 year in the inbox even though it should be archived?
Also what version of Thunderbird are you using? And is it connected to Gmail using IMAP protocol?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Please see attached pictures. It seemed to me that when we would manually move emails from the All Mail folder on gmail to a folder called Archive in Thunderbird that it would try and repopulate gmail because storage used would not go down. We are using Imap.
Thanks for that information, let me look a bit further in to the issue to see what I can come up with for you.
So, are you using a 3rd party software/plugin to do the archiving? (based on the image you sent)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It was the plugin that seemed to be suggested by Thunderbird. If you have another suggestion I'll take it!
Have you attempted to use the built in archive tool in Thunderbird? The only drawback is that it cannot run auto archives, you would have to run it manually.
Also please see this note from Mozilla support: Archiving messagesIn order to be consistent with Gmail's behavior, Thunderbird archives your message in the "All Mail" folder, and not in an "Archive" folder as it does for other accounts (as described in theArchived Messages article).
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm ok with that as long as it removes them from gmail and keeps it searchable in Thunderbird. Can you give me the settings etc?
You can follow the steps in this Mozilla KB article: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/archived-messages
Did those steps work for you?