Email

Need Help With Email? Ask Your Email Questions Online

Email

I got an alert on my account saying I could not get into my email because there was some q

uestionable activity and you locked...
I got an alert on my account saying I could not get into my email because there was some q uestionable activity and you locked me out saying I needed to change my pass word to get back in. Is this true or not?
This happened yesterday Oct. 17th, 2013. I changed my pass word and was able to into my email.
10/18/2013
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist

Jess M. :

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am glad to assist you today. Please tell me when you are ready for chat.

Jess M. :

It appears that you are offline. Please reply to me here any time when you are back online....

Customer:

I did not get an answer to my question

Jess M. :

I was waiting for you to join chat....

Jess M. :

Is your email address ending with @hotmail.com, @gmail.com, @yahoo.com, or others?

Jess M. :

Are you still there?

Customer:

Yes

Jess M. :

Thank you. Is your email address ending with @hotmail.com?

Jess M. :

@gmail.com, @yahoo.com, or others?

Customer:

No. It ends with @yahoo.com

Jess M. :

Thank you for that confirmation. Are you now able to access your yahoo account after changing your password?

Customer:

Yes. But I wanted to know if yahoo really did lock me out because there was some questionable activity on my account .

Jess M. :

Yes. It is a security protocol for Yahoo Mail, and even for other email providers like Hotmail and Gmail to lock an email account in cases of security breaches...

Jess M. :

This is actually to protect you, the real owner of the account.

Customer:

Thank you for your help Jess

Jess M. :

The questionable activity that was reported to you when your account was locked is this: A hacker or a spammer could have been trying to login to your Yahoo Mail account by guessing your password

Jess M. :

After several failed attempts to login, Yahoo automatically locks the account so that the hacker can guess no more password.

Jess M. :

That is why you are prompted to change your password XXXXX that is to protect your account from hackers trying to access your account by guessing passwords

Customer:

Good. Taht makes for a gerat pratice. Thank you.

Jess M. :

Thank you. I hope that helped.

Customer:

It did. Thanks Jess

Jess M. :

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) once you have all the information you need. Tips are always highly appreciated!

If you have any other questions, please ask me or reply to me – I’ll be happy to respond.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess

Jess M. :

If you need further assistance, please let me know. I am still here even after the rating.....

Jess M. :

Also, just a piece of advise to prevent this from happening in the future. Please refrain from posting your email address on websites like blogs or forums. The reason for this is because these hackers use scrapers or some piece of software that collects email addresses on various web pages. Once your email address is collected by these scraping software, that is the time then that you will start to receive spam emails with various advertisements.

Jess M. :

Now, if you believe that you really need to post your email address in a web page like in a forum page where you want people to contact you directly through email, I suggest that you break the email address with a space. For instance, you provide a space before and after the @ sign like yourname @ yahoo.com.

Jess M. :

This is to prevent the scraping software to discover your email in the page where you posted it.

Jess M. :

I hope that helped. Please remember to rate my service positively (3 to 5 stars/smileys) if you have time. It will be highly appreciated.

Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist