Chris R.
Chris R., Computer Tech
Experience:  BSBA CIS, A+ Certified
70521640

My gmail account keeps sending "announcements" to my contacts

My gmail account keeps sending "announcements" to my contacts that I've "Joined the lovely world of gmail" and I've used gmail for four years. It's rather embarrassing.

Chris R. :

Hello my name isXXXXX and I would be happy to assist you today.

Chris R. :

I have not personally heard of this happening, nor am I sure it is actually a legitimate Gmail message. Does the message that gets sent to your contacts have anything else in it beside this message? Are there any strange links or advertisements? More importantly, are you absolutely sure that it is from your email? A popular thing now that spammers like to do is use your name to send messages to people you are in contact with. They do not actually use your email. They just somehow get your name and use it as the From Name when sending to people you know. The whole purpose of this is to get their attention and possibly get them to click a link. In this case, changing your password XXXXX do anything and is not even necessary. Now on the other hand, if the messages being sent to your contacts actually has your address as the from email then you have a bit of a problem

Customer:

Hi Chris,

Customer:

It is actually from me, from my old email company(Cox) just as it went out the first day I started using gmail.

Customer:

I'm wondering if you're still there, Chris.

Chris R. :

Yes

Chris R. :

I am a little puzzled

Chris R. :

Your using Gmail with your Cox email?

Customer:

No. It was an initial email sent out from Gmail when I switched from Cox. It said: We have leaped to the lovely world of Gmail and want to ensure everyone is still able to reach us. Pleas take the time to update our email address in your contacts [email protected]

Chris R. :

I see

Chris R. :

I was just looking this up. Is Cox switching everyone over to Gmail?

Chris R. :

Were you notified of this change?

Chris R. :

This is not a malicious thing at all

Customer:

No. I used to use Cox(four years ago) and while at Cox, I switched to gmail instead of Outlook Express. I use Cox as my internet service now but gmail as my email service.

Customer:

Chris, as I'm looking at the email, it is headed by: From: Tom Bruning<[email protected]> I wonder if this is coming from Cox instead of Gmail.

Chris R. :

I can't see the emails because the system is blocking them

Chris R. :

I am thinking it is a something Cox is doing

Chris R. :

To let everyone know your using a different email

Customer:

How do I alert them to stop?

Chris R. :

I'd like to know how Cox knows your went to Gmail

Chris R. :

Unless I miss something you said

Customer:

I don't have an answer for that either.

Chris R. :

Did you import mail from Cox?

Chris R. :

to Gmail?

Customer:

Yes

Chris R. :

Do you use Cox email at all anymore? Meaning is Gmail still checking mail in your Cox email?

Customer:

I don't use Cox at all. Infact-when I switched from Outlook EX to gmail, I was still with Cox, but we moved and I cancelled my Cox account. I used another web service for about a year and a half and now have moved back into the Cox area and use it for internet but not email.

Chris R. :

It is definitely something that needs to be shut off on the Cox end of things

Chris R. :

You can rule out Gmail having anything to do with that

Customer:

OK good. Do I call Cox?

Chris R. :

You might want to officially close the email account

Customer:

Wouldn't it have closed when I cancelled my service with Cox for a year and a half?

Chris R. :

Not sure on how they work that

Chris R. :

Maybe they keep it for a while just in case you come back

Customer:

OK so what you're saying is contact Cox, either by email or phone and cancel it or SEE if it needs to be cancelled, right?

Chris R. :

Yes. I am not sure if there is a setting somewhere in the email account that you can change yourself. It might be easier to contact someone at the Cox and just ask.

Chris R. :

The system must have some sort of feature that knows what account you are importing their mail to

Chris R. :

and then does a courtesy mailing

Chris R. :

That is the only thing I can think of

Customer:

Good stuff-you were steady, you were helpful and you did your mother proud. Thanks so much. Tom

Chris R. :

LOL thanks Tom

Customer:

Good night!

Chris R. :

You too Tom. If you have any other questions feel free to ask for me. Chris R

Customer:

OK Chris R.!!

Chris R. :

We have about 10,000 people by the name of Chris on here so the R helps :)

Customer:

I would agree with that-I'll keep the "R" handy!

Chris R. :

Sounds good. Be sure to rate my service below before you go.

Customer:

I would be happy too.