Email

Need Help With Email? Ask Your Email Questions Online

Email

I use windows live mail. My unread mail folder has disappeared.

Why? Can I get it...
I use windows live mail. My unread mail folder has disappeared. Why? Can I get it back.
7/2/2012
Steve Herrod
Steve Herrod, Computer Support Specialist

Steve Herrod :

Hi, I'll be happy to help with this issue

Steve Herrod :

at the top of the folder listing in Windows Live Mail is a Quick Views section

Steve Herrod :

Is there an unread folder there or is that where it has gone missing from?

Steve Herrod :

there is also Storage folders on left hand side at the bottom, has it been moved to there at all?

Steve Herrod :

Let me know

Steve Herrod :

Cheers

Steve Herrod :

Steve

JACUSTOMER-7bn34vd6- :

When I first open my email the various folders appear on the left of the screen. Incoming mail listed on upper right, and selected email letter shows in bottom right. The unread email folder used to appear at top of left screen just above a folder named Comcast(johnmanning4).

Steve Herrod :

Thanks - it is strange that it has disappeared like that

Steve Herrod :

did it happen overnight?

Steve Herrod :

we could try a system restore to the date when this was working

Steve Herrod :

if you go to Start-->All Programs-->Accessories-->System Tools-->System Restore

Steve Herrod :

you can choose the most recent date when it was all working correctly

Steve Herrod :

and the configuration files will be amended - no data (documents/emails will be lost)

Steve Herrod :

Let me know if that helps at all

Steve Herrod :

will be away over next hour or so but then online for rest of day/evening

Steve Herrod :

Cheers

Steve Herrod :

Steve

Steve Herrod
Apologies it looks like there were some issues with the chat session

We could try a system restore to the date when this was working, if you go to Start-->All Programs-->Accessories-->System Tools-->System Restore you can choose the most recent date when it was all working correctly

The configuration files only will be amended - no data (documents/emails will be lost)

Let me know if that helps at all

Cheers

Steve

No that didn't help. I don't want to use an old version. I want to use my current Windows Live mail program.
Hi John,

Thanks for the update - the idea was to undo any setting change which might have moved or hidden the folder.

As this might be an issue with the interface I will opt out for someone with Remote Access to be able to quickly check the issue.

Cheers

Steve
Okay. I'll wait for contact with remote access person.
Rachel-Mod
Rachel-Mod, Moderator

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic. Your Professional has opted out and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find another Professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

That's fine. Another person to assist is okay.

Sometimes, finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly

Nick H.
Nick H., Email Specialist
Hi and welcome,

My name isXXXXX will assist you with your Email issues.

Do you still need help?

Who is your email provider? Gmail Hotmail AOL Yahoo or other?
Comcast is my provider
Thanks.

If not, what is your email address ends with? Like comcast.net, att.net or gmail.com?
Comcast.net
Thanks.

Please click on the link below and see if you can log into your email account.

Comcast Email

See if your emails on this account. Thanks.

Yes I can access it, but I don't use the Comcast email system very often. I use Windows Live Mail.

Thanks.

You can access your account. How about the unread emails? Do you see them?

I see things I haven't read in my incoming mail.

What I don't see is an unread email folder. Previously it just piled up all my incoming mail. I had 40,000 emails in that folder. I was my history.

Thanks.

I think it's best to have another expert with remote access to assist you. Let me reopen your question.
okay.
cpugeek
cpugeek, IT Manager

I'd be happy to assist you today.

In Windows Live Mail you can turn the quick views on and off, which might be the source of your issue.

Can you please open Live Mail, click on the "view" tab, and then to the right of the ribbon bar you will see 4 buttons: quick views, compact shortcuts, storage folders, and status bar.

If quick views are enabled, the button will appear highlighted, otherwise it will appear as the same color as the mail menu background color.

Clicking the quick views button to turn it on and off will add or remove the quick views from the folder view above your email account name (where you had it before), and it should contain 3 entries if it is in the default setting and visible:

Unread email
Unread from contacts
Unread feeds

Can you please check this setting and let me know if this resolves your issue?

Thank you very much.

-----------------------------
If my answer did not resolve your issue, please click "reply" or "continue the conversation" before rating my answer; follow up questions are always welcome, and there is often more than one solution to any particular problem.

If my answer was helpful, clicking "accept" and leaving positive feedback is greatly appreciated; this is how I get recognized for my efforts.

Thank you very much.
Bingo! That did the job. Thank you very much.
Thank you for the follow up.

That's excellent news; glad I was able to resolve your issue for you.

Please don't hesitate to visit us at JustAnswer again in the future should you need assistance.

Sincerely.
My probem has solved satisfactorily.
What I dislike is getting pelted with requests to evaluate you.
Steve Herrod
Steve Herrod