Email

Need Help With Email? Ask Your Email Questions Online

Email

windows live mail sending but not receiving emails

Customer Question
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Email
5/5/2012
Email technician: jnayes, Computer Support replied 5 years ago
jnayes
jnayes, Computer Support
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

Is there any error code?

Would you be interested in remote support so I can get hands on at no additional charge? This would allow me to pinpoint the issue a bit faster and we'll be in contact the entire time.

Let me know.
0x800CCC90
Likely invalid pop settings.

Did you want to do a remote so I can get this fixed up quicker, or would you like to try yourself?

If you would like the remote, please let me know and I will post instructions following your response to make the connection.
not keen on remote. Additional info error id is: 0x 800 420CD
Ok, then I'm going to need to gather some info first.

What is the last part of your email (after the @ symbol).

Also, click next to the home button, the drop down on the way left. Click Options > email accounts, and select your account.

Tell me current incoming server (pop3 for example). Then navigate to the advanced tab and tell me the port listed there for the incoming server.

pop 3

btinternet.com

port 110

will be happy to tip if this is resolved!

Its just infinitely easier via remote since mail issues can be caused by a great many things. My first guess would be that you have a corrupt file trying to download.

What I would do is this. Close Windows Live Mail.

Log into your btinternet webmail

https://login.yahoo.com/config/login_verify2?.intl=uk&.partner=bt-1&.done=http%DANGEROUS URL REMOVED/%3f

(btinternet uses yahoo's servers).

In the listing look for the last file windows live mail has NOT received, especially taking note of large file sizes. Remove it from the webmail (delete it), then try opening Windows Live Mail and allowing it to download again.

Extremely large emails can clog the queue and cause these timeout/errors.

Let me know the results of that test.

Remember, if for any reason you are unsatisfied with my answer, we can continue the conversation until you’re satisfied and Accept my answer. I can address follow up questions at no extra charge and I’m always here to help. Thank you for using JustAnswer!
tried that but no emails near to that with large content or attachments or from unknown recipient. This has not worked for 4 days by the way.
Gotcha, I'm really going to have to recommend the remote, there's just too many variables. There's no additional charge and it would help for me to physically see all settings within WLM.

We'll be in contact the entire time, otherwise we're going to be back and forth doing trial and error (which may result in taking unnecessary steps when it could be something fairly simple).

If you insist we don't do a remote, I will continue to give you steps, but the next ones to diagnose the issue are a bit more elaborate.
to be honest I am reluctant to allow anyone I don't know to access my computer - I am sure you will understand that. I do not want to take up too much of your time but will try to follow your next elaborate instructions.
Very well, and I do completely understand.

I'm going to proceed with assuming your mail settings haven't been altered and are of the original configuration.

There's a few steps I would try here.

Click options > account settings, and click advanced. Does it say to leave copies of email on server? You should uncheck that at the bottom and click ok. Close and re-open windows live mail, see if it starts mail flow again.

A windows update could easily cause this symptom so I would do a repair install on WLM. To do this, go to start, type wlarp and hit enter.

Or, go to start > all programs > accessories > RUN. Type wlarp and hit enter. Choose the repair option, let it complete. It may have you restart your computer. If it does, just return to www.justanswer.com after the restart and click My Questions at the top.

Now, if it was a windows update that caused this mess, you may have to attempt a system restore. This will leave your files untouched (no damage to documents or risk of lost files, just a method of reversing any updates that may have corrupted the program).

To do this, go to start > all programs > accessories > system tools > system restore.

Choose a date that you last received mail, and allow the restore to complete. You may have to check the box that says "show more restore dates" on the second window.

Be sure to do these steps in order, testing in between and stopping if one works.

jnayes
jnayes, Computer Support
jnayes
jnayes
jnayes, Computer Support