Email

Need help with email? Ask your email questions online

how do I automatically copy myself sending email via AOL or…

Customer Question
how do I automatically copy...
how do I automatically copy myself sending email via AOL or Eudora?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Email
2/15/2012
Email technician: mgilmore4502, Computer Support Specialist replied 6 years ago
mgilmore4502
mgilmore4502, Computer Support Specialist
As a first bit of information I need, do you want a copy of the email you send to be received in your inbox (as if it is addressed to you)?

Or would you rather see a copy of it stored in your "Sent Items" directory?

Certainly in Eudora either is possible and we can research whether AOL also supports this.

But first, what would you prefer?
I would prefer that the sent message from any of my three devices (PC, iPhone and iPad) appear in all three sent boxes, but if that is niot possible, it can appear in each of the devices in boxes. I already can automatically cc myself on my iPhone and iPad, but not on my PC - because I do not know how to set it for AOL and EUDORA on my PC. That is the question
I think the method you use of cc: yourself is a good one (so it shows up as new mail on each device).

This might not be the most elegant solution, but unless you are either using the same email client on each device, or have some sort of cloud account that ties all the devices and email accounts together, this might be the only thing you can do.

I'm sure we can find a quick and dirty solution that will accomplish this, or we can explore the elegant solution that might really give you the integration you want.

Give me a bit more information about your email provider / accounts / etc.

First, you mentioned AOL. Is this your primary (only) email provider? Meaning, does the only email address you use end in AOL.com (or some such)?

If not, what does your email account end with? Don't give me your entire email address, as this site filters that. I only need to know what the part after the @ symbol is.
I do have Cloud set up, but it may not sync AOL and Exchange (Eudora) email with a PC. Therfore for now let's figure out the setting for automatic cc to me for .aol and for .ucsf.edu (I use the Edora and/or Outlook to view email from this server)
Are you still there and working on a response?
Yes, I'm here.

Since I'm in Europe, I probably went offline for the night but I'm back now.

Before I can give you precise instructions, I need to know the versions of AOL Mail and Eudora and Outlook that you use.

I'll give general instructions here based on the latest versions. They may work perfectly for you, but if you have older versions, let me know.

For Outlook: you can set up a rule that will automatically cc you in every sent mail. You can also have this rule cc you at a different email address, which could be handy for cross-computer access.

For Eudora: similar to Outlook, you would set up a filter to do this as well. Again as with Outlook, I'll need to know the version to tell you how to set up the rules / filters.

AOL Mail: I'm not experienced with AOL mail, so we might have to experiment with this one together, but I think it is possible to create rules to handle the task.
OK, let's set it up for AOL Desktop 9.6. I have already set up the copy for Edora.
Forgive me if I seem to ask stupid questions, as I said, I've not used AOL before, so I need you to be the eyes on your end.

When you make this setup in AOL, do you want a copy to be sent to yourself at the same AOL address or be forwarded to another of you email addresses?
CC to my AOL inbox
This is far from an elegant solution, but I think it will work. Give it a try and let me know:

1. Open your AOL email account and enter your email address and password XXXXX login.

2. Click the "Settings" tab at the top of your AOL email homepage.

3. Click "General Settings" and click the tab that reads "Forwarding"

4. Select the option that reads "Forward a copy of incoming mail to"

5. In the tab provided, enter the full address of the account (obviously your same AOL address) to which you wish to forward your email and click "Save Changes."
mgilmore4502
I cannot fined "general settings" under "settings" therefore, I cannot find "forward a copy of incoming mail" In any event, I do not want to forward incoming mail but rather copy all my outgoing mail to myself
I mistakenly clicked the accepted button.....my issue is NOT reolved
No, I understand that you don't want to forward to a different email address, it's just that this seemed like the easiest way to "forward" the sent mail back to your AOL address, thus accomplishing the same thing.

As I said, I am unfortunately not experienced with AOL mail. I'm happy to opt out and return your question to the mail list and see if another expert can continue to assist you.

If you would like to continue with me, then I'm willing as well.

Up to you and absolutely no hard feelings if you'd rather try another expert.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
Also, don't worry about the mistaken Accept click. I'll get our customer service department involved when necessary to make sure your deposit is either refunded to you or applied toward myself (if I manage to solve your problem) or to a different expert.
Keep your payment, but I will now deal with AOL directly. Thanks!
Well, I do appreciate that, but since I wasn't able to solve your problem, it is totally not expected that you make a payment.

I'm going to refer this thread to our customer service department where they will discuss the issue further with you.

I'm more interested in making sure you are happy with JA and will use us again, rather than worrying about money.
mgilmore4502
mgilmore4502