Email

Need Help With Email? Ask Your Email Questions Online

Email

When I click on outlook emails (sent or draft), I receive a

Customer Question
message that "An error has...
When I click on outlook emails (sent or draft), I receive a message that "An error has occured in the script on this page. Line 518 Char: 219 Error: Unterminated string constant" A URL is given that starts file:///C: Users ...." I'm asked if I want to contiue running scripts on this page. Whether I click yes or no, the script error keeps poping up.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Email
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/4/2012
Email technician: Jess M., Computer Support Specialist replied 5 years ago
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Hi, welcome to JustAnswer.com. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am happy to assist you today.

This problem could be related to your Internet Explorer web browser. First, please RESET your IE Settings:

HOW TO RESET YOUR INTERNET EXPLORER SETTINGS
1. Exit all open programs
2. Launch Internet explorer
3. Click on Tools menu
4. Click on Internet Options
5. Click the Advanced tab
6. Under Reset Internet Explorer settings, click Reset.
7. Then in the message that pops up, click Reset button again to confirm the action.
8. When Internet Explorer finishes resetting the settings, click Close in the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box.
9. Start Internet Explorer again.

Another way to RESET the IE Settings is through Control Panel.

1. Click Start => Control Panel
2. Locate and click to open Internet Options (If you do not have the Internet Options listed, locate the "View by" selection and see if it is set to Category. Click on it then select SMALL ICONS.
3. When the Internet Options dialog box is shown, click on the ADVANCED tab
4. Look for the RESET button at the bottom part and then click on it.
5. Another window will pop out, click on RESET in that window.
6. Click on Apply
7. Click OK to close
8. Test Internet Explorer again

After resetting your Internet Explorer, please try your Outlook links and see if the problem is gone.

If the problem continues, please try to do the CCleaner cleanup procedures to ensure that your system is safe, clean and optimized and registry-error free. The CCleaner tool is a free tool.

Cleanup with CCleaner

NOTE: If you are using a program named Roboform, please do not proceed with CCleaner cleanup. Roboform Data will be removed by CCleaner.

Please download the FREE version of CCleaner from this link:

Download FREE CCleaner Here or this link http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/standard

After you download the free tool, install it and run the scans and tests. By default, it runs CLEANER to cleanup from all system mess which includes all unwanted files, temporary files, temporary internet files, orphaned files and more. Make sure that all this mess that the Cleaner program has detected is removed. This will free up some space in your hard drive while speeding up your system as well.

Next, run REGISTRY Cleaner and fix the found problems. Run this REGISTRY cleaner several times and fix the issues until no issues will be found.

In order to run the Registry cleanup mode, open CCleaner, then look at the left panel of the CCleaner window. Locate and click the Registry link there and that should give you the Registry cleanup mode. Then click on the Scan for issues button. When the scan reached 100%, click FIX issues to remove the errors from your system. Then click the Scan for issues again then FIX whenever issues are still found. When no issues are found, close CCleaner.

After the cleanup, please try if the problem is gone.

I hope you find my answer helpful. If you do, please Accept and leave a positive feedback if you are satisfied. A bonus is always greatly appreciated.

Keep me posted with your results so that I can help you further.

Please do not leave a negative feedback. We can continue further until your issue is resolved.

Best regards,
Jess
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
While I accepted your help, because the problem looked to have gone away. It's back..... Same message is popping up again. So I need more ideas on how to fix.
Hi, thank you for writing back.

Please disable startup items and services. Here are the procedures:

To disable some programs at startup, please do the following:

1. Click on Start => RUN
  2. In the RUN box, type this command and click OK: msconfig
  3. You shall see then the System Configuration dialog window
  4. Click on the SERVICES tab
  5. Click to select the option "Hide Microsoft services"
  6. Then click DISABLE ALL button
  7. Then click the STARTUP tab
  8. Then click on DISABLE ALL button
  9. This should disable all listed startup programs at startup so all the checks there should disappear. However, please locate your Antivirus software there and click on it to restore the check mark.
  10. Then click APPLY
  11. Click OK to close the System Configuration window
  12. Restart your computer.
  13. When you are prompted with a pop up window regarding the changes you made with the System Configuration Utility, please cancel it or close it.
  14. Then test if the system is now gaining some speed and if the problem with your IE is gone.

If the problem continues, please do the following:

To turn off notification about every script error in Internet Explorer 7 or higher, follow these steps:
  1. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
  2. On the Advanced tab, click to clear the Display a notification about every script error check box
  3. Then click on APPLY
  4. Then click OK.
  5. Here is my screen shot:

I hope that helped. Keep me posted with your results so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess

Jess,

. I followed the disable startup items, but I didn't get a pop up window so I was not able to cance or close it per step 13. The problem continues when I try to open a sent or draft email in Outlook. Also, now I have a new problem, which is that I use a separate monitor that is docked into a plugable Docking Station. Now that screen is blank and I'm being told the laptop doesn't sense a remote monitor. Moreover, I've lost the option in Internet Explorer to do things like File, Send, Edit -- which I use all the time.

Please restart the computer after the MSCONFIG procedures.

Also, to display the menu of your Internet Explorer, please press the ALT key. If you want to keep it shown, press ALT key, then click on View => Toolbars => Click to check "Menu bar"

Also, if the display of the second monitor was gone after the MSCONFIG procedures, please undo it. Do msconfig again and enable the things that you just enabled and then see if the second monitor works this time.

Keep me posted.
Jess

Jess, I was able to get the remote monitor to work by going back to msconfig -- I enabled everything -- which might explain why it took a really long time to start up after I rebooted.

I tried your last step -- the "Display a notification about every script error box" was already clear, but I clicked, then cleared, then saved.

The original problem still persists, and as I note, it's an Outlook problem, not an IE problem. I am going to retire now-- perhaps we should get another set of eyes on the issue tomorrow?

Yes, please take your time. I will continue to investigate your issue and I will post further procedures in a while.

Yes, we can certainly resume communication tomorrow when you are available. Please bookmark this page so that you can get back to me easily any time.

Regards,
Jess
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist