Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

I have a VHS and DVD combo that went unused for a couple of…

Customer Question
I have a VHS...

I have a VHS and DVD combo that went unused for a couple of years. I haven't tried a DVD yet, because the VCR is eating tapes.

Technician's Assistant: Who makes your media player? How old is it?

That I would have to check. I have forgotten. brb

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your media player?

It is a Magnavox and is about 7 or 8 years old. I went through a run of bad health and didn't use it for several years. I have tried play home recorded vhs tapes and it has eaten each one. I think it just needs cleaning, but I am out of my depth

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Video Expert to know before I connect you?

What he tells me will probably go over my head but, I have a friend who works in IT and if I could pass on the advice to him, that would be great.

Submitted: 25 days ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
5/26/2018
Electronics Technician: Electrotech2017, Technician replied 25 days ago
Electrotech2017
Electrotech2017, Technician
Good afternoon and welcome to JustAnswer; an independent site with members providing product information, repair tips and technical assistance as a form of paid Q & A service.
My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you with your question regarding your DVD/ VCR combo player.
I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question. Sorry about your health issues, but I hope you are doing better now.
In general if a VCR is eating the tapes means that the rubber belts lost their tension and need to be repaced. In addition the rubber pinch roller which is responsible of transporting the tape is probably slipping as well and needs to be cleaned. So to summarize it, yes it needs some deep cleaning with isopropyl alcohol on the pinch roller, Capstan and video / audio heads and the Capstan belt under knees the mechanism needs to be inspected for good tension. Those steps should take care of the issue. Let me know if you have any other questions. I am more than happy to answer them for you. Thanks
For the DVD player side it would be recommended to use a cotton swab and clean the laser lens, which should take care of reading issues. If the tray has trouble closing and opening the loading belt needs to be inspected as well. Have a good night.
Electronics Technician: Electrotech2017, Technician replied 23 days ago
Thank you for allowing me to assist you with your issue. If you have any other questions please feel free to let me know otherwise please take a moment to rate my service as it is the only way I am credited for my time. Hopefully I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied.
Electronics Technician: Electrotech2017, Technician replied 19 days ago
Good afternoon, just wanted to remind you to rate my service positively so I can get credit for my work. I would really appreciate it. Thanks