Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Call go right to voicemail after 2 rings. How can i increase…

Call go right to...

Call go right to voicemail after 2 rings. How can i increase the number of rings

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand/model of your phone system?

Panasonic digital cordless phone. KX-TG-DA20

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Digital? What have you tried so far?

Maybe a week or so. Haven’t tried anything. Could not fine any info in the operating instruction book

4/13/2018
Neil, Engineer

Hi, this from the manual:

Number of rings before the unit answers a call You can change the number of times the phone rings “Ring count” before the unit answers calls. You can select 2 to 7 rings, or “Toll saver”. The default setting is “4 rings”. “Toll saver”: The unit’s answering system answers at the end of the 2nd ring when new messages have been recorded, or at the end of the 5th ring when there are no new messages. If you call your phone from outside to listen to new messages (page 32), you know that there are no new messages when the phone rings for the 3rd time. You can then hang up without being charged for the call.

1 [MENU] #211

2 Use arrow keys to select the desired setting

I tried the menu #211 and chose 4 rings and hit save and still goes to voicemail after 2 rings

Is it voicemail (you recover the message by calling back a number) or is it the answer phone on th phone? Whata re you dialing to recover your messages? I am wondering if this an external voicemail from your phone service provider rather than the phone itself

A way to test this is to wait for the voicemail to answer and then listen in on a normal phone, if you can hear the message when you pickup its the Answer phone, if you only get dial tone then its your service provider

To get the message we just press 1. It’s the answer phone.
Seems like we should check with Xfinity our service provider?
I followed the steps in the manual. Chose 4 rings and hit save and went to VM after 2

Doesn't sound like the phone then as you need to press the play button rather than dial 1...

To confirm turn the ANSWER ON/OFF buttton to off... But this is not sounding like a phone issue...Rather a provider issue

But why did it not work when i followed the Manuel and selected 4 rings and still stopped after 2?

I don't believe its the phone answering? If you completely unplug the phone from the line and then call your number does it still go to voicemail?

I’m not home now. Can I continue tomorrow?

Yes, if you wouldn't mind rating my help now I can then keep the question open so you can return anytime... If we do prove its not the phones themselves then I am happy to carry on and help with how to approach Infinity

Neil has been a wonderful help attempting to solve our issue. He has responded quickly and is willing to continue with our concerns. Great customer service!

There should be some star rating system you can use.

Neil, Engineer

Thanks

Come back to me tomorrow once you have tried the above

I unplugged all land phones and placed a call from my cell. It went right to VM after 2 rings. Did not dial anything.

As I thought its nothing to do with the Panasonic Phone then, rather its your provider Xfinity...

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/setting-up-voicemail

Dial *99 and go through the steps to setup your voicemail and select the rings to answer to something bigger

Ok. Thanks for your work. We called xfinity and spoke to a rep. He tried 8 different ways to no avail. He referred us to a supervisor who continued for another hour and each time it would go right to VM after 2 rings. She said she’d try again but haven’t heard back from her. We have a ticket # so we’ll try to connect. Thanks again, Neil

You don't have any other sort of Voicemail service or answer machine? It is a bit of a mystery and the fact you need only dial 1 to listen to your voicemail is also a mystery... I would confirm its Xfinity by changing the answer message to something unique "ie Test 123" and see if it is Xfinity message that is picking up. If not then maybe there is a separate answer machine somewhere in the house...

We do have a VM on our Panasonic. Most messages come on that.

But with that disconnected it still goes to this VM so can't be that...

I saw on my Panasonic base and turned off answer but still went to 2 rings and VM. Seems to me it’s xfinity’s problem. What do you think?

Yes its what I'm thinking

Thanks again for all your workTried to give you 5 more⭐️s