Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

The zoom On my FZ35 has quit and I get a System error

Customer Question
The zoom On my...

The zoom On my FZ35 has quit and I get a System error message for the zoom

Technician's Assistant: What device or product does this involve?

Panasonic DMC FZ35 camera

Technician's Assistant: What Panasonic model do you have?

FZ#% digital camera

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Panasonic?

I have not taken it apart. I removed the battery and replaced it with no results

Submitted: 25 days ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
3/31/2018
Electronics Technician: Russell H., Service Tech replied 25 days ago
Russell H., Service Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Try removing the batteries, and leaving the camera on a (dry, non-humid, non-dusty) shelf for overnight. Then put the batteries back in and try the camera again.

- I need to ask a few questions about the camera and its history, please:

How old is the camera? in months or years since you bought it.

Has the camera been dropped or otherwise subjected to mechanical shock(s) in its lifetime?
Has the camera been operated in or subjected to, temperatures below 32 degrees F (freezing point) or above about 100 degrees F ?
Has it ever been subjected to a humidity higher than 85 % or gotten wet ?
Has the camera been operated in a gritty or sandy environment, such as a beach, a seaside, a construction site, or the like?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
OK. I bought the camera new approx. 5 years ago. No more than 200 pic's were taken. It work flawlessly until 2 weeks ago. Re: the other questions, no to all. I will try leaving the battery out all night and see what happens. I suspect the motor that drives the lens in and out may have failed.
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
No on the phone call.

OK - if the camera wasn't dropped, that leaves some room for hope in the case.

Another question: how old is the battery that you are using currently in the camera?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
about 2 years

OK... a battery that old (or older) might fail, and might not deliver enough total (or, peak) power to drive the lens motor. So, perhaps, a newer battery (1 and 1/4 year old at most), fully charged, *might* get the camera working again.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Nope. I checked the battery with my meter and it is putting out what it is supposed to
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Are you familiar with the Panasonic DMC-FZ35 camera

The voltage measured on the battery when not under load has nothing to do with what I am mentioning: the failure to deliver sufficient peak power.

I cannot tell, of course, that it is the problem that causes the lens error - which might be a failure in the camera that requires that it be serviced. (At 5 years old, even with good treatment, a Panasonic camera of that line will often fail internally.)

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
OK. I'm going to take the camera to a repair shop. The closest to me is about 200 mile and that is why I contacted this site.

I might be able to find a nearer one.... (And sending it for repair might make more sense than travelling 200 miles!) ... let me know your local zip code, so that I may do a search.

John, Engineer and electronic enthusiast for more than 12 years.