Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

I'm trying to set-up a light switch (pool light) so Alexa…

Customer Question
I'm trying to set-up...

I'm trying to set-up a light switch (pool light) so Alexa can control the light, but there is inadequate wifi signal where the switch is located.

Technician's Assistant: Who makes your router?

Panoramic

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far?

I took my cell phone out to the location and the signal was rated at only the bottom dot with no waves above. I tried texting from there to my laptop and although the phone indicated that it was sent, the laptop did not receive it until later, which - I think _ means the signal was very weak at best.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Network Expert to know before I connect you?

Yes, the switch location is only about 30 feet from the router, but it's located outside and the signal must penetrate a block wall (with steel reinforcing) and is located just below the main circuit breaker from the local utility. I suspect that all that current may be diminishing the wifi signal.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
3/30/2018
Electronics Technician: Rusty, Customer Service replied 4 months ago
Rusty
Rusty, Customer Service

Hello, my name is***** to Justanswer! Give me just a few minutes to look up some specifics, I'm working on this now.

I like that you are using your phone to check the wifi signal, that's exactly what you should be doing. You'll need a wifi extender to get the signal to reach the pool. Use your phone to find where you have a couple of bars, at the nearest power outlet. That is where you'll want to plug in the extender.

Click here. Plug this in where you have a couple of wifi bars on your phone. This connects to your router. Then, connect your pool light to the wifi signal from the extender. The idea is that the pool light connects to the extender, and the extender acts as a middle man, to relay the signal to your router, and backwards as well. This is the solution when wifi signals are weak.

I suggest choosing a place upstairs, if possible, so that the signal doesn't have to go through steel reinforced wall. That way there are minimal obstructions from the extender to the pool light. You are right that the power box will diminish the signal, but sending the wifi signal from a different angle will help immensely.

If you have other places in your home where wifi is weak, you can use more than one extender in different locations.