Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

I am going to study for a ham operators license, and I am…

Customer Question
I am going to...

I am going to study for a ham operators license, and I am wondering if a 5 watt transceiver operating on the 20 meter band would be large enough to allow me to communicate with someone 230 miles away.

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your product?

It is a MST3 transceiver kit from www.osQRP.com

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far?

I haven't bought anything yet.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
3/27/2018
Electronics Technician: Pete, Electronic Engineer replied 3 months ago
Pete, Electronic Engineer

Hi, I'm Pete. Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

A 5 watt transceiver on a 20 meter band would reach around 5 miles on flat open terrain.

--------------------

Your satisfaction is my priority; I hope I have earned 5 stars today!

Kindly take a moment to rate my service 5 stars and press Submit at the top of your question page; tips appreciated :)

If my service is lacking and not worth 5 stars yet, please let me know before submitting your rating and I will do my best to assist you further.

Pete.

--------------------