Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

I bought a Saitek throttle for my grandson’s X Plane 11.

Customer Question
I bought a Saitek...

Technician's Assistant: Who is your email provider (Gmail, Yahoo, Outlook, etc.)?

Outlook. tt worked great but after a few weeks the 10 year old broke the S-Video plug. I then bought a new one. It looked exactly the same, but it came with a USB connector which we can not get to work. We can go through the set up procedures, but cannot get the new throttle quadrent to work . Are the two different connectors interchangeable? larry Galizi

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Software Expert to know before I connect you?

Just that I’m a grandparent and not real good with computers!

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
3/27/2018
Electronics Technician: Richard Hill, Electronics Engineer replied 3 months ago
Richard Hill
Richard Hill, Electronics Engineer

As far as I can tell all Saitek throttles use a USB connection, I can't really see how an S-Video connection would work - what was this connected to? Can you send a photo of the broken connector please?

Best Regards,

Rich

Ok I can do that later tonight.
The throttle quadrant with the S Video connection was the original one and worked fine.
The second throttle quadrant, with the USB connection is the one that did not work.
These need to be set-up, which we did on the second unit (with the USB connection). However when we were done with the set up none of the functions actually was connecting to the program.
No because i’m Not where the computer is.
I think it’s best if you try to resolve this by email as my son in law who actually knows how to do this is gone until next Sunday, and I will just give him your suggestions because he’s stumped.

That's fine. I believe the new throttle you have bought is this one:

http://www.saitek.com/uk/prod-bak/quad.html

It requires a PC with Windows® 10 or Windows 8.1 or Windows 7, so please check the PC being used has one of these, and also a USB 2.0 port.

You will need to set up the throttle in X Plane 11 too.

Best Regards,

Rich