Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

I have been having a progressive problem with my Sony TV…

Customer Question
I have been having...

I have been having a progressive problem with my Sony TV (Model KDP-57ws550). It would turn on normal. Then periodically the screen would pulsate. That eventually turn into it shutting off by itself. Turn it back on, and it would be fine. This continued every time until the next phase 4 months later. That is when it would immediately shut back off after turning it on. Hit the on button again and it would stay going. This lasted a couple weeks then it would shut off and it would take 5 attempts to turn it back on and stay going, Then 20. Then 30. Now nothing. I would have sound all this time, just no picture. Blinking code is 5 and ten.

Technician's Assistant: Are there any HDMI cables or A/V jacks (red, yellow, and white cables) plugged into your Sony TV?

Yes Pearl there are

Technician's Assistant: Was there a power outage recently?

We do live in a rural area where power outages occur. I can't remember exact date, but it was about five months ago. It was not on. It has a surge protector too.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
3/25/2018
Electronics Technician: Shahid_Sony, Technician replied 3 months ago
Shahid_Sony
Shahid_Sony, Technician

Welcome to JustAnswer, an independent, pay per question support website
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this and I'll do my best to help

I need to know how many times the red light blinks before pausing and starting over?

It blinks 5 times and every once in a while 10 times

OK, both are different error codes, 5 times is white balance error code and 10 times is high voltage protection error code

- Do you have basic electronics knowledge if you're looking to attempt to repair the TV yourself?