Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

I got an unbelievable price on a Panasonic PT-LZ370U that I…

I got an unbelievable price...
I got an unbelievable price on a Panasonic PT-LZ370U that I intend to use as a home theater. It is a pretty expensive device, 2 or 3 times expensive than the good quality DLP home projectors I have seen out there .
- what is the difference between an LCD and DLP (not technically but specifically in terms of usage as a home theater or a tv replacement )
- does the lamp has a shorter life than the DLP?
- anything else i should know about, or that should change my mind into not getting the Panasonic PT-LZ370U to use as a home theater? (in all of the reviews I have seen , they kept insisting that this device was made for educational purposes and corporate presentation...what's the difference if i used it as a home theater?)
3/24/2018
Pete, Electronic Engineer

Hi, I'm Pete. Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

DLP uses a spinning color wheel to create sharp images, they don't need any filters, and the expected lamp life of a DLP projector is only around 2000-5000 hours.

LCD projectors have no moving parts and are therefore generally less expensive. If you are on a budget a single chip LCD projector is ideal. However, LCDs require constant filter maintenance and their images are not as sharp. The lamp life is around the same for both types.

So in summary: LCDs are cheaper, easier to maintain, but don't have as good an image. DLPs have a great image, but are more expensive and need more maintenance.

The Panasonic PT-LZ370U will work fine for home theater use. Projectors for educational and corporate tend to not be as sharp as they are used for presenting text and graphs, etc. not high quality movie images.

If you are used to watching movies on DLP, then you may think LCD is not as good a quality when you watch it for the first time. However if you have not had a home theater projector before then LCD is fine for starting out.

--------------------

Your satisfaction is my priority; I hope I have earned 5 stars today!

Please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars and press Submit at the top of your question page; tips appreciated :)

If my service is lacking and not worth 5 stars yet, please let me know before submitting your rating and I will do my best to assist you further.

Pete.

--------------------

Pete, Electronic Engineer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you Pete for your insightful answers.can you help me find if the projector supports 4K and/or 3D projection?
Also, I have a vinyl background (10ftx8ft) that i used as a photo background for an event. Do you know if I can use the back of it as a white projection screen, or do i need to paint it grey or black for better pic definition and colors.(https://jet.com/product/Projector-Screen-Paint-(Black-Quart)/4e4afd9777614ddfaddbe2525a966707?jcmp=pla:ggl:nj_dur_gen_electronics_a1:electronics_television_video_projection_screens_a1:na:PLA_785706707_43734977729_pla-292864410664_c:na:na:na:2PLA15&code=PLA15&pid=kenshoo_int&c=785706707&is_retargeting=true&clickid=2623c099-16ac-4294-8000-122c15cfdd5b&gclid=Cj0KCQjwkd3VBRDzARIsAAdGzMCDTdQ8oYOsqF9EQqv8PoAHBp_43XJqJYwVcu-5KUA-hcFHzT9NiBIaAp7sEALw_wcB)

No, the PT-LZ370U does not support 4K or 3D projection.

A white or off white background will work well as a projection screen, however the latest trend is actually to have a completely black screen for best picture and color definition.

Pete, Electronic Engineer