Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

This is a bit spooky. I am not sure how this works but I am…

Hi, this is a...

Hi, this is a bit spooky. I am not sure how this works but I am in Australia and you appear to be in the US?

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your product?

How does this work in terms of cost?

Technician's Assistant: The Technician will be able to walk you through that. What have you tried so far?

I have a monster power surge protector. I have unplugged and reset but nothing working

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?

I don't think so

3/24/2018
Russell H., Service Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. I'm sorry that we didn't respond sooner - a lot of JustAnswer is indeed in the US, and in a different time-zone.

Your surge protector is not providing power? if so, and if you have reset the circuit breaker, try plugging in only one device, unplugging all the others, and seeing whether it can support that one device.

Then plug in one other device, see if it can support that device.

And so forth, until you come to the device with a short circuit in it (I am guessing), which (I am guessing) trips the circuit breaker and appears to make the surge protector not work.

(Obviously, if it seems not to work with the first device you plug in, solely and by itself, then unplug that, reset it, and try a different device plugged into it solely and by itself. IF both of those cause it to seem to fail, it might well be a failed or 'broken' surge protector, rare as that is. Sometimes, though, such failed surge protectors fail only in one outlet, or a set of them, so you might also try several different outlets on the surge protector before giving up.)

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated!

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.

Thanks.

Russell H., Service Tech