Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

I bought a new Aver Aspire red laptop earlier in the week.

I bought a new...

I bought a new Aver Aspire red laptop earlier in the week. Tonight it turned itself off and did a bunch of updates and then asked for a new password ***** reset the disk. It won't accept the old password ***** the new one so I can't get into the computer. Help!

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your Aspire?

Don't know can't open it. I had Microsoft Office installed - is that what you mean?

Technician's Assistant: The Laptop Technician will be able to walk you through that. What have you tried so far with your Aspire? Have you installed any updates recently?

Yes, it just automatically installed updates a few minutes ago

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

I'm in despair and am tehcnologically challenged!

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/23/2018
Viet - Tech
Viet - Tech, Electronics Tech

I'm sorry about the issue. What's the error or message?

Does it show a name or username at the password ***** login screen?
Does it show an email address at the password ***** login screen?

Are the CAPS lock and NUM lock keys on or off?
Please reply at the box below. Thank you,

Viet - Tech
Viet - Tech, Electronics Tech
it says I have to have anew password ***** reset the disk, but it won't accept the old password ***** the new ones. I didn't need a password ***** all until it just crashed, I can't get into the system at all
Phone call session started

Thank you. Do you have another working Windows computer?

my desktop

Thank you. On your working computer, please click on the website below in order to connect with me remotely, then I can fix your problematic computer's password ***** through your working computer for you:

https://tinyurl.com/y8jybvnq
, then allow the Elsinore.ScreenConnect program to download/run/open when prompted at the bottom.
Note: If it does not connect within 5 minutes, then please reply at the box below and let me know. Thank you,

No, it's OK thank you. I'm going t take it back to the store in the morning. Thanks for your help.

You're welcome. Wait. Let me provide you quick written instructions now okay?

Let me provide simple steps you can try on your new laptop now; it is easy to try:

Solution #1:

1. At the password ***** login screen, press and keep holding the Shift key on the keyboard.
  2. Click on the Power icon at the bottom right of the computer's screen, then click on the option Restart while still holding the Shift key.
  3. When a menu appears, then you can release the Shift key.
  4. When prompted, click on the Troubleshoot option.
  5. Then select the option Reset PC, and continue.
  6. When prompted, select the option "Removing everything" and "Just remove files.", and continue.

Solution #2:

1. At the password ***** login screen, click on the Ease of Access icon at the bottom; it looks like a timer icon.
  2. Click on the On-Screen Keyboard option.
  3. Click on the Shift key option at the left of the On-Screen Keyboard on the computer's screen.
  4. Click on the Power icon at the bottom right of the computer's screen, then click on the option Restart.
  5. When prompted, click on the Troubleshoot option.
  6. Then select the option Reset PC, and continue.
  7. When prompted, select the option "Removing everything" and "Just remove files.", and continue.

- Do you see a menu / the Troubleshooting option when trying any of the solutions above?

Please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help further. Thank you,

All fixed - thank you. I googled the problem and fixed it myself based on instructions I found online.

Great. Did you try similar steps as I've provided in the two solutions above? And/or what else did you try? Do you need help with any other computer question / issue today? Thank you for the update.