Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

I have a Panasonic Cordless Phone System Model KX-FPG391.

I have a Panasonic...

I have a Panasonic Cordless Phone System Model KX-FPG391. The base unit and fax machine are working but the 3 handsets have stopped working. I have had the system for years but all of a sudden a couple of weeks ago all of the handsets quit working. I replaced the handset batteries about 2 months ago and all of the handsets show that they are fully charged. When you pick up the handset and push "talk" the screen shows "Talk 00-00-00" but there is no dial tone. If there is an incoming call you can't answer it from any of the handsets only from the base unit.. I have tried unplugging the handsets...no change. I have unplugged the base unit,,,no change. Do you have any ideas on what else I should try or what caused all 3 of the handsets to quit working at the same time. I really hope there is some way to fix this issue as I have had it for years and have had no problems.

Technician's Assistant: Are your device's other functions (printing, copying, scanning, etc.) working fine?

Yes, those are located on the base unit and are functioning. The problem seems to be just with the handsets.

Technician's Assistant: When did this fax issue begin?

I'm sorry but your not listening...there is no problem with the fax system. It is solely with the handsets.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

I don't have a printing problem!!! I have a problem with the handsets.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/22/2018
Richard, Customer Service

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

Please remove the power to the base unit and the batteries from the handset
Then wait 10 minutes, connect the power to the base unit, put the batteries in the handset and tell me if it then functions correctly.
Please let me know the results
Thank you

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay, I unplugged the main unit (the unit with the fax machine) for 15 minutes and removed the batteries from the handset. The handsets still aren’t working.

What is the system connecting to for a signal?

eg: Comcast box?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no to a telephone line

yes but this connects to a source for a signal, or it is a wall socket that goes to a older style phone connection point in the street?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No I don’t want to call can’t you just give me some things to try

You are referring to a service the website offers, which being optional, can be ignored if you do not wish to use it.

Please ignore it and reply here to my last question I sent you please

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It’s a wall socket.

Thanks

It is the internal mainboard that has faulted which causes the issue with the satellite phones

I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the phone to have this replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the page, then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The product is probably out of warranty...it’s probably close to ten years old or older. How much would the repair be or do you still make and sell this system.

Ok, a repair without the warranty is not feasible sorry, it would greatly exceed the value of the system and they do not sell the parts to consumers.

You would need to replace the entire system

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do you sell handsets that are compatible with the kx-fpg391 cordless phone with answering machine and fax? If not can you tell me the model number of a comparable system
Richard, Customer Service
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay, I unplugged the base unit and took the battery out of that handset. Clarification...I unplugged the main unit the one with the fax machine. No change
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the other handsets are not working
Richard, Customer Service