Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

How do I change the region code on my Sony DVP-NS425P. DVD…

How do I change...

How do I change the region code on my Sony DVP-NS425P

Technician's Assistant: What device or product does this involve?

DVD player

Technician's Assistant: Who makes your media player? How old is it?

Sony. It's several years old

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Sony media player?

Regular dvds work fine. I just bought a set of Dexter DVDs that came from the U.K. I'm getting a message that says I can't play them in this region

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/22/2018
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Honestly, there isn't anything you can do in this case. The problem here is that the player is designed for and locked to a specific region while you're attempting to play a disc from another region. These region codes were set up by the movie studios to help prevent piracy, and there is no easy way around them. While you may see some “hacks” online, they are not applicable to all models, as most do not have the ability to be overridden by a software adjustment, including yours.

This region coding protocol is physically built into the hardware (chips on the control board) of the player, and changing it would require physical modifications to the player (swapping out chips) that would void the warranty and often permanently damage the player.

Your best options are to re-purchase the discs you want to play in your country with the proper region code, or buy a purpose made region-free player that does not have this hardware restriction.

I'm sorry there isn't a more optimistic answer here, it's simply a design limitation of the player.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Well damn!!! Thanks for your time and have.

Your'e very welcome, and my apologies again for the news!

One like this will work for you: http://amzn.to/2IHQWLZ

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Nathan, Engineer
Nathan, Engineer