Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

I have kx-tg5421 and when I try to use it, it shuts off and…

I have kx-tg5421 and...

I have kx-tg5421 and when I try to use it, it shuts off and the screen will go blank. When I replace it to base it will show normal screen. I tried to reregister according to the on line instructions but as I said the screen goes blank.Help, Larry

Technician's Assistant: What device or product does this involve?

The panasonic phone KX-TG5421

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your KX-TG5421? What have you tried so far?

About a month. Charged the battery, and tried to register as per directions on line.

3/21/2018
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer; an independent site with members providing product information, repair tips and technical assistance as a form of paid Q & A service.
My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you with your question regarding your "...kx-tg5421..."

Initially, how long has this phone been in use?

The phone is probably 8/10 years old.
I will type

Thank you for your kind understanding of automated-systems / machine-generated follow-ups, ads and offers.

And has the battery been replaced sometime before?

The battery was replaced about 11/2 years ago. It currently shows a full charge.

Have you tried checking/cleaning the charge contacts both at the bottom of the handset and that of the cradle/doc of the base unit?

Does the charge indicator light up when attempting to charge the handset?

The charge indicator shows the light when the phone is on the cradle.

I understand.

Based on all of the above, the battery needs replacing.

This is the only easy user doable try.

This would also serve as both an attempt of a fix and as a test by process of elimination.

If symptom persists even with a new/known to be good charged battery, then it would be an internal hardware issue.

Would information on the Part Number and potential (online) sellers serve your need please?

Thank you, ***** ***** replace the battery. I do not understand why it shows battery full if the battery is bad.

It would appear to be a "false" reading; i.e. the voltage is correct hence display would show three (3) bars / fully charged. However, the battery is unable to supply/sustain the needed current (power) of the handset thus discharging faster than normal and eventually dies resulting to the "...screen will go blank..."

Again replacement would serve serve as both an attempt of a fix and as a test by process of elimination.

Part Number is ***** and may be inquired HERE and HERE.

Thank you

Great!

Glad that the above information served your purpose and if you haven’t done so, please provide a positive rating (3 to 5 stars) at the top of your page (scroll all the way up)

Louie, Technician